Gateway laptop Model MT6705

Solved/Closed
NjTonya - May 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jun 1, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Hello,
My Gateway laptop wont turn on today. Its been plugged into the wall almost consistently just because my battery life depleted some time ago, so I always keep it plugged in. Yesterday I did notice that the power chord /the square block/brick portion did seem a little warm.
Today when I hit the power button , the battery sensor light at the front flashed red 3 or 4 times & does nothing else. The computer feels completely cool to the touch today.
Things I've tried:
Leaving it charge for a half hour or so to see if it would take enough charge to turn on= no repsonse

Removed the battery for about 10 minutes & unplugged the laptop. When I reconnected the power chord ( battery still not installed back in) the blue light around power button came on. So I went with it & hit power button and it seemed to be turning on , went through to the gateway welcome screen which comes on right before your desktop loads, then suddenly it just shut down. Then I tried re-inserting battery to see if that would help, still no response.

Next unplugged laptop & unplugged power chord from outlet, removed battery & let it sit for about 10 minutes . Then I tried the method of holding the power button for 30 seconds & rebooting. (did this twice because Ive seen 2 different tips on how to do this. One with putting battery & plug in before attempting a reboot 2) Just plugging it in, turning on , then inserting battery. Either way, I had absolutely no signs of life after trying this.

The only response I get is that red flashing light when I hit the power button. Do you believe this is a power chord issue and/or battery or is this something more. The computer is no spring chicken, although Ive never had any problems with it & a new laptop isnt in the cards right now.

Any help would be appreciated!
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
May 30, 2012 at 06:04 PM
So you've tried taking the battery out, disconnecting the charger and holding the power button for 10 seconds?

Leaving the battery out, plug the charger in and try powering on - If it doesnt come up at all then either the power supply is dead or the laptop is.

next test:

put the battery in WITHOUT charger and try turning it on, does the lights flash? if yes then try this:

plug the charger in WITH the battery in and try turning it on, does the lights flash?

IF YES, then you need a replacement charger. You can get universal laptop chargers from the internet for cheap. make sure you get the correctly voltage output charger. Check on the charger you have now to see how many Volts and Amps it gives out.
Thanks for the advice... didnt get to respond as I was trying everything, but it did conclude that I needed a new charger. Just picked up a charger today ( in store.. not cheap, although I have no patience & was panicking that it was a dead computer). . Its up & running again. The red battery light is still on & I'm failry sure that the battery has needed replacement for quite some time. Until I can afford to replace the batter, should I remove it or does that not matter?
Thanks again
Blocked Profile
Jun 1, 2012 at 05:03 AM
I have a gateway laptop and the battery is dead on that too. Leave the battery in as it would give you a couple of minutes charge incase you accidentally knock the charger out etc. the battery will have a part code on it. just do some shopping on the internet and i'm sure you'll find a replacement battery. It is recommended to not use your laptop when it is charging as it reduces the life of the battery but no one listens to reason. Glad you're back up and running.