My Gateway laptop wont turn on today. Its been plugged into the wall almost consistently just because my battery life depleted some time ago, so I always keep it plugged in. Yesterday I did notice that the power chord /the square block/brick portion did seem a little warm.
Today when I hit the power button , the battery sensor light at the front flashed red 3 or 4 times & does nothing else. The computer feels completely cool to the touch today.
Things I've tried:
Leaving it charge for a half hour or so to see if it would take enough charge to turn on= no repsonse
Removed the battery for about 10 minutes & unplugged the laptop. When I reconnected the power chord ( battery still not installed back in) the blue light around power button came on. So I went with it & hit power button and it seemed to be turning on , went through to the gateway welcome screen which comes on right before your desktop loads, then suddenly it just shut down. Then I tried re-inserting battery to see if that would help, still no response.
Next unplugged laptop & unplugged power chord from outlet, removed battery & let it sit for about 10 minutes . Then I tried the method of holding the power button for 30 seconds & rebooting. (did this twice because Ive seen 2 different tips on how to do this. One with putting battery & plug in before attempting a reboot 2) Just plugging it in, turning on , then inserting battery. Either way, I had absolutely no signs of life after trying this.
The only response I get is that red flashing light when I hit the power button. Do you believe this is a power chord issue and/or battery or is this something more. The computer is no spring chicken, although Ive never had any problems with it & a new laptop isnt in the cards right now.
So you've tried taking the battery out, disconnecting the charger and holding the power button for 10 seconds?
Leaving the battery out, plug the charger in and try powering on - If it doesnt come up at all then either the power supply is dead or the laptop is.
put the battery in WITHOUT charger and try turning it on, does the lights flash? if yes then try this:
plug the charger in WITH the battery in and try turning it on, does the lights flash?
IF YES, then you need a replacement charger. You can get universal laptop chargers from the internet for cheap. make sure you get the correctly voltage output charger. Check on the charger you have now to see how many Volts and Amps it gives out.