Factory reset Gateway Laptop

- Oct 27, 2018 at 04:36 PM - Latest reply:
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 18, 2018
- Oct 28, 2018 at 06:12 PM
When I press power it will say preparing automatic repair then go to diagnosing your pc, it will stay here never leaving this screen even after days, I have tried pressing ALT/F8, ALT/F10 and ALT/F11 also have tried pressing windows/C Nothing gets past the diagnosing your pc screen, I want to factory reset to start computer, I do not see anything along the lines of a menu to be able to choose anything, Only "Diagnosing your PC" screen, Help?
See more 

Your reply

5 replies

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 18, 2018
- Oct 27, 2018 at 04:56 PM
Thank you
The way to restore Gateways is to hold down the ALT Key and repeatedly hitting f10 then it should bring you to a boot sequence screen then choose the HDD and then hold down ALT and repeatedly hit f10 again that should promt the restore feature for gateway.

Good luck
Respond to Ambucias
Thank you
This just dosent work nor does f8, f10 or f11, it will acknowledge the f10 but continues to diagnosing your pc.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 18, 2018
- Oct 27, 2018 at 06:00 PM
Here is what another member wrote:

"Hurray! Shouts out to Frys Guy!!!!! I got my Gateway back running after using his Alt-F10 tip. A lot of useless searching (much of it a Gateway) and finally came up with that useful tip. My compurter started to reset in the middle of the boot processs. I had tried a lot of different things; F8 and Repair your computer, Repair Startup problems, downloaded a Rocovery CD, etc., and nothing seemed to work until this method.

This tip was not in my Gateway starter guide. What they had written for getting the Recovery Manager was not correct.

After the initial boot screen (with "<F10> for boot menu" at the bottem) disappeared I pressed Alt-F10 and after a minute got a "Gateway Recovery Management" screen with a "Restore from factory default" option. This loaded the system partition (C:) from the recovery partition (hidden). It does wipe every thing out on the C: drive to be like it was when new. (Just to be safe I had made Ghost images of the all hard drive partitions before hand so I could restore them to their sickly state if needed.) Fortunately I had created an extra partition on the hard drive when I first got the machine and put all my work on the non-OS partition (D: drive), and none of that partition was affected during the restore operation. Of course I had to re-install my applications on C:, but everything is running right again.

Now I'm going to make those recovery DVDs in case the recovery partition gets damaged."
Respond to Joey35601
Thank you
This didn't work, after f12 I get boot options and nothing to factory reset even tried already f10 after doing f10 still nothing but diagnosing your pc, will not go away after 2 days of loading.
Respond to Joey35601
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
November 18, 2018
- Oct 28, 2018 at 06:12 PM
Thank you
You are not the first to experience a similar issue with Gateway. We have yet to find a solution.

Have you contacted Gateway?
Respond to Ambucias