Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Closed
BlueEyes77 - Jul 2, 2012 at 06:52 PM
 BlueEyes77 - Jul 9, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Hello,

When I turn it on, it shows the toshiba logo, then screen immediately turns black and there is a blue box in center of screen asking for a password. I dunno what to do & any help would be appreciated.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM
It looks like you have a machine level password set.

Sorry but there is nothing to be done. These business level passwords can't be circumvented.
How would this machine level password have been set to begin with...
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 5, 2012 at 01:37 PM
Is this a used laptop? Corporate PC's a often configured with a hard drive or motherboard level password.
Nope i got it brand new.
Jul 6, 2012 at 05:41 PM
THE Toshiba web site has the following notice about power on password:

A "Password =" prompt may be displayed when the computer is turned on, even though no power-on password has been set. If this happens, there is no password that will satisfy the password request. The computer will be unusable until this problem is resolved.

If the problem has not happened yet, verify that your computer has the BIOS currently available from the Toshiba Support website. See detailed instructions below.

Your computer's BIOS may already include the fix for this problem, depending upon the model, and when it was manufactured.

This Support Bulletin is not a notice of a new BIOS for your computer; it's a notice that the password prompt problem has been fixed in relatively new BIOS releases.

The occurrence of this problem on any particular computer is unpredictable -- it may never happen, but it could happen any time that the computer is turned on. If this problem does occur, it will be necessary to send the computer to a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider.

The resolution is to send the laptop to Toshiba.