Black screen with cursor

Closed
wickedwrecks Posts 1 Registration date Friday September 21, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 21, 2012 - Sep 21, 2012 at 08:34 AM
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 - Sep 22, 2012 at 03:18 AM
Hi,
so i have been reading forums after forums working on a friends laptop having the black screen with just the cursor, now i have tried everything i have read from ctrl+alt+del and nothing i have tried the shift button 5 times still nothing.. i also have done and tried all these in safe mode and still nothing.. i also have tried a windows 7 disc and vista disc ( only cause she didn't know what her bf's brother put on) and still wont boot to the setup up screen so i can do a repair on it... like i said i have read forum after forum on all sorts of things to try to get the processes started or even booting it and still no luck she has a lot of stuff on it that she wants to save so if anyone else has any other way for me to get this fixed without having to make it a slave drive to get things off and format it then i would really appreciate it thanks

p.s. I think i am knowledgeable about computers been working on them for the last 17 years... but i am still learning i don't know everything so any help would be appreciated
Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 21, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Dear Wicked,

It would have been useful and nice to mention the make and model.

I have a hint that may work.

Unplug the cable and remove the battery. Press and hold the power button for about 58 seconds. Replace the battery and try to boot.

Good luck and let me know.

Ambucias
Develish moderator
mikethedike Posts 158 Registration date Saturday August 16, 2008 Status Member Last seen September 22, 2012 41
Sep 22, 2012 at 03:18 AM
if i have undertsood coorrectly u say "still wont boot to the setup up screen" in order to reapir the OS. Kindly do the following
Insert the OS disc ie (windows 7 or Vista)
Restart ur system
now in order to change the Boot sequence u need to enter the Bios

diff model respond to diff keys like F1, F2, Delete, F9, F10, F11, F12

Now upon system in restart procees press (either one of the keys mentioned above will work)

u will enter the bios screen

go to the boot menu

slect the cd/dvd rom as the first boot device

save and exit

ur system will boot from the drive and u will see a messg " press any key to boot from cd ..

just press any key eg. space bar..

if it still doesnt then thers something wrong with ur cd drive

use a external dvd/cd drive

regards

awaiting comments