Can't find downloaded files usng vista o/s

Closed
davebc1963 - May 8, 2008 at 09:10 PM
 network engineer - Nov 5, 2009 at 06:06 AM
Hello,
I can't find any files that I download.I watch it download completely,the run,save prompt pops up for a millisecond,then disappears,and the file is gone.I am using Vista(wich is crap) and it is probably the cause of my problems.Does anybody know if there is a fix for this problem,or any way I can find my disappearing files???Any suggestions will help.
Thank you
Related:

139 responses

Try to uninstall all updates you've installed, it works ;)
how do I uninstall updates?
Im Currently running Vista OS Service pack 1
about 2 weeks ago I tried download xfire (a gaming messanger) and Mozilla Foxfire. Since these 2 week I have tried downloading various things however they say they download, the bar completes, I save the file to desktop and once it finishes downloading the file is not there I have tried various things including installing new updates, Just did windows update and still cannot download, also tried disabling the UAC and turning it back on. I still cannot download, if anyone is having the same problems or knows a solution please help me
Have you found a solution yet? I've been having the same problem with my laptop....I try to download any file, anywhere in the comp an it will show for a second then vanishes...
i have also unistalled all updates and that also did not work
Same Problem...!!!! Plsssss.. Show us the solution to solve this problem.???

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
hi
Same problem - after 2 hours I decided IE can get stuffed and got hold of Firefox - able to download files etc no problems.
Wanenz one problem I cant get firefox because I have tried to download I and I cannot find the file, im sure the problem is IE but I have no other browser
Download firefox for vista here http://www.firefox-start.com/download-firefox-theme.php?id=5-Firefox-Vista

It worked great for me! I was able to download firefox on my vista, I can now view files. Just click run when you download it. Good luck
Yeah same problem here. I've tried downloading them to ANYWHERE and it doesn't work. Any file too.

If anyone has a solution PLEASE inform me. It is such a worrying problem. Thanks a lot, Joel
ive been having the exact same problem for about 2 weeks now and its starting to drive me crazy. Ive installed all windows updates, disabled and reabled UAC and still no change if anyone can please let me know what I can do as I dont think I can take much more of shitty vista.
did you find a solution,many thanks
Obi Wan Jaynobi
Nov 9, 2008 at 07:34 PM
Had the same problem did some research and trial and error tests and narrowed it down to AVG 8.0 causing the problem. Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling same issue. Switched back to Norrton and the problem went away
Big Z > Obi Wan Jaynobi
Dec 4, 2008 at 07:48 PM
Okay guys, I was having this problem in Windows Vista 64 Ultimate and when someone mentioned it being an issue with AVG 8.0. On that note I checked my installation of AVG free 8.0 and noticed it was not installed correctly. I reinstalled AVG and the problem is gone. It works in both FF and IE for me.
3SRN Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2009 > Obi Wan Jaynobi
Mar 29, 2009 at 03:38 PM
i had the same problem about downloading but cannot uninstall Avg because it said could not uninstall and gave me the following error code:

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
@AvgErrorCode_0x0020

have any other advice????
scoop > 3SRN Posts 5 Registration date Saturday March 28, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2009
Mar 30, 2009 at 09:20 PM
3SRN... I had a similar problem with AVG uninstall. ONLY WAY I could fix it was to download the new version to a flash drive on another computer and copy that file to the one with the problem. I ran the repair installation option (FYI... the uninstall didn't work here either) and that fixed the issue. A new install would probably work as well... Good luck!
did you find a solution.many thanks
I'm currently experiencing this problem as well.
Computer specs en OS:
Intel Q6600 (2.40 GHz)
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
2048 MB DDR2-800 MHz RAM
Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate

When I try to download a file in internet explorer (32 bit) everything goes smooth untill I ask it to open or run. Then everything dissapears. I can find the file with search option of Windows but it's a 1 byte file and when I try to open it it gives me the window to search for that file.
When I download it on 64 bit version, I can manage it, but I can't download 2 files with the same browser (so I have to close IE and reopen it to download the second file).
However, my windows live messenger is now affected as well. Every file ppl send to me gets succesfully received but cannot be found anywhere.
Firefox has the same problem for me.

I've tried all the above suggested solutions and nothing works. So please, if anyone found the solution, post it here!

Many thanks in advance

Bernd
this is a joke.....................can anyone help
HEY PPL.... A VERY VERY VERY GOOD NEWS....

I KNOW HOW TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM... ON CANT FIND DOWNLOADED FILESS....

FIRST, GO SEARCH "MSCONFIG"

GO TO THE TAB, STARTUP

UNTICK ALL, AND TICK THOSE APPLICATION U WANT TO START UP...

THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER....

THEN OKAY LE...

*i tried on my fren computer, and I helped her, and it succeeded... !!! ^.^... so maybe is the work of some virus...

*if all vista o/s happened to be like this, the windows would have been in red alert, as no one can download anything
*since there is only a small portion of ppl who cant find downloaded files, it meant tt these small portion of ppl got a virus....

add me in msn ^.^ idiotboyboy@hotmail.com
dgjason@gmail.com Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday December 9, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 10, 2008
Dec 10, 2008 at 10:29 AM
Thanks, your solution worked great. Hats off to you from "Old man computer dummy in Texas"
I just tried Idiotboy's solution, and it was the only one I've found that actually worked. I have had the downloading problem for a week now, and I am so glad to get some advice that actually worked. Thanks so much!
I had the same problem, now everything works. First, Check to c if u have more than 1 security programs installed. if this is the case u would have to uninstall one.. for an example. I had avg and norton. I uninstalled norton and kept Avg.. NOW I can download save and run files. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Idiotboyboy knows what he is talking about, He helped fix the problem with my computer like it was nothing THANK YOU IDIOTBOYBOY
no thanks....

very glad tt I have helped someone out there.... being troubled by this problem....

ha... thanks for ur thanks too...
I feel all your pain
same problem
stuck in a hotel and realy need a file
someone is going to get an angry email
Microsoft is real shit
Jul 15, 2008 at 04:32 PM
I have the same problem -- for years. YOu jsut have to manually root around this piece of shit they call an OS to find it.
Windows is really, really a load of shit. Yes, Linux distros are better.
this problem is new to ie8 beta2, so please cut the crap somewhere else
Hi There,

I have same problem couple of weeks ago.

This is mainly your web browser problem. (Because of the settings changed). We can resolve in two ways.

1. Change your web browser, like Mozilla/Firefox etc.
2. Another easy way is reset your computer to a known restore point. ( The document will not be deleat
ed, but programs saved after this resore point may be deleated)

Regards,
Shah 25.
Another misterious solution for this problem.
Using Windows Server 2008 64bit edition.
This problem arises when I choose to use "Classic Start Menu" instead of default ugliest one.
Works 100% on my computer:
- choose "Classic Start Menu", re-logon - files disappeards from destination folder imediately after downloading
- choose "Start Menu", re-logon - downloading works as it should...
2 anti-viruses must be hated, deleted AVG because it was being annoying at the time, works fine now.

-Larry
It works for me! Thanks x 1000000000000000000....
For me the solution was to fix the Windows Defender. I've made some modifications in my registry previously, and then those abnormalities occured. All the required Defender routes must be set to the original Program Files folder. If you - just like me - modified the Program Files path in the registry, for automatc directory installation selecions You need to move it back, or somehow move the Defender's directory in your Program Files folder.
ive deleted avg, and both ie and mozilla work fine now. I used foxit as a substitute browser coz both mozilla and ie didnt download.
Has anyone found a solution yet? ive uninstalled the updates, ive restored it, made a new account to see if I could download on it, I disable UAC and I dnt think its IE or firefox...though im not certain cuz I cnt download firefox to test it >> please help...