Monitor won't display changed power supply could it be that

Closed
Extensiity Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday December 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2013 - Dec 19, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jan 13, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Hello, my name is yoel and today i did something very dumb for some reason i decided to change the computer supply by pressing the f8 or whatever and i put the minimum and then when i restarted it didn't display please i don't know much about computers please help and yes everything runs fine.

10 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Hi yoel,

As you have mentioned the problem started after replacing the power supply, it is possible that power supply is causing this problem. If your computer has a graphics card in it, ensure that the power supply meets the minimum power requirements of the Graphics Card. If this is not the case; please reply with the following details so that I can look for a solution:

1. Motherboard (type, Model Number)
2. Graphics Card (if any)
3. Memory (or RAM)
4. Power Supply both old and new (Wattage and Model Number)
5. Operating System (Windows 7, Windows XP, etc.)
6. Monitor (Model Number)

Please do write back to us.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Hi yoel,

Thank you for providing the details as well as the exact problem description. Try clearing the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS. Check Page Number 1-17 (Section 1.2.6) of the Service Manual of the Motherboard. You can get the Service Manual for M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard from here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97_LE_R2.0/E7460_M5A97_LE_R2.pdf

Do reply with results.
Extensiity Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday December 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2013
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I have tried this before sorry took so long to respond
Jan 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Hi yoel,

Thank you for replying. I would like to know if you had changed any internal or external Hardware Components in your computer other than RTC Jumper. If so, I would like to know which components such as Graphics Card, Memory, etc.

Please do write back to us.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Hi yoel,

When you removed the memory modules, were they placed in their respective slots? If no, please ensure the memories are correctly installed. Next I would suggest that you should remove the following components from the computer and then start the computer to check if you hear beeps (Before working inside the computer, please go through "Before you proceed" section of the Service manual on page number 1-5.):

1. Memory (kindly make a note of Memory Modules' and their respective slots before removing)
2. Video Card.
3. Hard Drive Connectors from the motherboard and power supply.
4. Optical Drive Connectors from the motherboard and power supply.

Check if you hear the beeps. If the beeps are heard the motherboard is functional. Once the motherboard's functionality has been verified reseat all the components and connectors on the motherboard. For details on how to remove the above components, check the service manual from page number 2-8 onwards. For all the internal connectors details check page numbers 1-19 onwards.

Do reply with results.
Extensiity Posts 7 Registration date Wednesday December 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen February 27, 2013
Jan 9, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Hey i did all of that and thankfully the motherboard beeps i was a bit scared and also i reseated everything like you said and nothing appeared on the screen
thanks and best regards, Yoel
Jan 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Hi yoel,

Thanks for performing all the steps. It looks like the issue is with the video. Let's try a few more steps and check if we get a resolution:

1. Try a different monitor with the computer (try getting one from a friend).
2. If you get video on a different monitor this is an issue with the monitor not the motherboard.
3. Also try checking with another monitor cable.
4. Check the graphics card in your computer by connecting it to a friend's computer.
5. If the graphics card cannot provide video on another computer as well, this is a video card problem.

Do reply with results.
Jan 10, 2013 at 04:24 PM
hello i checked with another "monitor" or so to speak i used my big screen tv and it didnt display any image it said no signal like the monitor but this time i used an HDMI which i use for my playstation 3 and nothing then i tried with the same monitor with the not so good laptop i have which can use a 9 pin blue cable {dont know the name of the cable} and it worked i was very bummed and kind of scared which leaves off my graphics card which i havent been able to use cuz well none lets me open their computer also some info that i may have gotten wrong this happened when i changed the performance to minimum or power saver in the BIOS { thats why i said it was the stupidest thing i had ever done which is still true now hope you can find an answer to this i will not declare my graphics card dead.... yet not until i try it with another computer also ive tried the 9pin on my other tv and still no luck sorry for the long post
thank and best reagards
Jan 10, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Also my mouse and keyboard wont light up when i turn my computer on
Jan 13, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Hi yoel,

As you are confident the problem started after changing the BIOS settings, the BIOS settings can be reverted to their original factory settings by resetting the RTC jumper. Kindly, try clearing the RTC RAM once again and check. To erase the RTC RAM:

1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Move the CLRTC jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5-10 seconds, and then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
3. Plug the power cord and power on the computer.
4. If steps 1-3 do not help, remove the onboard battery and move the jumper again as instructed in step 2. After clearing the RTC RAM, reinstall the battery.

The above steps are present in the Service Manual under section 1.2.6 on page number 1-17. You can find the Service Manual here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A97_LE_R2.0/E7460_M5A97_LE_R2.pdf

If the issue is still not fixed, kindly consult a technician.

Please reply you have any further questions.