External HD wants to format - Can't Access

Closed
rationalgaze - Feb 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM
 Swift - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Last night we had some power shortages. My external HD was plugged in but wasn't transferring data. However, when attempting to access it this morning it tells me the drive is not formatted and I need to format it before I can use it. I still have ALOT of data on there that I need.

Is there any way I can get the data back or access the drive again without using a program? I currently have 9 hours remaining on my scan of the HD to recover data, but I don't even know how effective it will be.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

4 responses

My response is a little old, but you never know who it could help. I had not plugged in my hard drive for a minute and actually thought I had misplaced the AC adapter during this last international move. Somehow, when I tried to access the information on my WD external hard drive, I got a message asking me to format the drive if I wanted to use it. The drive registered, but showed 0kb, like it had spontaneously self-deleted all the files.

However, after reading everything here, and nothing worked, I decided to try a partition restoration software. It is called Active Partition Recovery out of Canada. I bought the $40 version after spending hours trying other things to scan it, etc. I could see the files. I simply right clicked on the drive to restore the boot sector and everything reappeared.

Just thought I would pass it along.
Thanks Marciara for taking up an old response.
I purchased the same software from
LSOFT TECHNOLOGIES INC

2550 Argentia Road, Suite 218
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 5R1
CANADA

Scanned my 320 WD ex HDD, because it wanted to format and not read.
Untility found: all files and restored to original state.
Thanks for tip
royalteezy Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday November 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2009
Nov 19, 2009 at 12:57 AM
please can you help a brother with the license key for that application,see here in nigeria credit cards are kinda difficult to come by...please I need it since my whole life is in that drive....please help me...you can send it to my box...koloviso@yahoo.com....i'm on my knees
12ozshark > royalteezy Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday November 18, 2009 Status Member Last seen November 19, 2009
Feb 14, 2010 at 02:42 AM
Try this dude, load up windows 'search' and search the drive for types of files, for example if your looking for avi video files type ".avi" in the search box and IT WILL list any avi files on the drive, just copy the files you want to the desktop or somewhere else and this might work
bernasmeister
Apr 5, 2010 at 01:32 PM
Thanks again marciara!

Had the same problem with an external HDD (Seagate) and got the dreaded "format disk drive" pop-up...

So I've downloaded the software you suggested Active Partition Recovery and after clicking on "fix boot sector" it recovered my external HDD!!! (had to do it a couple of times... somehow didn't get it first time - not sure why)

Backing up all my files to DVD now!

I'm using Windows Vista btw...

Many thanks!
do you know if this software works for a mac?? I am desperate! I sent my hd to a data recovery place (ECO Data Recovery), and they are telling me that it looks like a brand new hard drive w/ nothing on it, and it's asking them to format. I thought all was hopeless, but after reading this I now have a little hope.
vistaXpert Posts 7 Registration date Thursday January 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 3, 2009
Feb 13, 2009 at 04:14 AM
hi,
you may try it in another computer And see if it detects the hard drive.
if it detects, you will have to backup the files on some DVDs.
then you may format the drive.
As per suggested I used Active Partition Recovery and after clicking on "fix boot sector", within a matter of seconds my ext hdd was working and accessible, and no more asking me to format the drive.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
I did this and windows is still wanting to format the disk, am I doing something wrong? I feel like ive completely wasted my money. I have windows vista and my drive is a freecom xs 1tb drive, any other suggestions?
Nia, try 'Partion Table Doctor v3.5' - it has a feature 'Fixboot' - worked for me when Active Partion Recovery didn't (see comment above).
It detects the hard drive in either computer. The problem is, it doesn't recognize the hard drive as having data and instead says it needs formatting.

I addition, once my "data recovery" software finished it restarted my computer before I could save the data, thus making the last 9 hours pointless.