Fn key not working properly

Closed
arun.prsnll Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday December 26, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2012 - Dec 26, 2012 at 08:35 AM
 Mac - Dec 23, 2015 at 04:50 PM
Hello,

I have HP Lenovo Laptop the problem is when I pressing Fn+volume key it doesn't work properly.I can increase or decrease only from sound icon display in task bar.So please help me.

Related:

7 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Hi arun.prsnll,

So that I can look into the settings of the Laptop and help you with the Fn key issue, please reply with the exact System Model Number of your laptop computer.

Please do write back to us.
arun.prsnll Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday December 26, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Hello Zohaib thanks for the reply the model number is B460E
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Dec 27, 2012 at 05:12 AM
Hi arun.prsnll,

I have checked the Fn key behavior of Lenovo B460e Notebook. It works in combination with several different keys for accomplishments other than increasing or decreasing the volume such as, Fn + Up Arrow to make the screen brighter. I would like to know if other keys are working fine. Is the problem only with Fn + Right Arrow / Left Arrow to Increase/Decrease sound volume?

Please do write back to us.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
arun.prsnll Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday December 26, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 at 06:20 AM
The problem only with Fn + Right Arrow / Left Arrow to Increase/Decrease sound volume.Others are working good.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Dec 30, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Hi arun.prsnll,

As you mentioned the problem is only with Fn + Right Arrow / Left Arrow to Increase/Decrease sound volume, this could possibly be a software issue. If your computer came with any application that controls the Fn key behavior, try to uninstall and then reinstall that application and see if the issue is fixed.

Do reply with results.
hi, I am also dealing with the fn key problem in left and right arrow. I read the conversation betwwen arun and zohaib, zohaib said to reinstall the application in laptop but it still persists. Please give me some suggestions.
Jan 9, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Hi Faisal,

As you have eliminated the software as a point of failure, I recommend trying a few hardware fixes. Please try these steps only if you are comfortable with computer hardware and internal components of the computer else take a technicians help:

1. Reseat the keyboard connector (Note: you might need a technician's help to do so or you can refer to the Service Manual of your laptop. Ensure all the power connections including battery and external devices are removed press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any static charge in the computer before you open computer chassis.).
2. Verify there are no broken/damaged pins or damage to the cable. Replace the keyboard for damaged pins/cable.
3. Boot the system to the DOS Prompt (Click Start type cmd in Run) and test the arrow keys here, this will ensure if arrow keys are working fine in general other than volume function).
4. If the keyboard works fine on DOS Prompt, reinstall the keyboard drivers, if there are keyboard drivers for your keyboard.
5. Check the Accessibility Options (Click Start type Ease of Access Center and hit Enter) in the Control Panel (options on Keyboard tab should be unchecked).
6. Swap with a known good keyboard (if available). If the known good keyboard works, replace the Keyboard.

Do reply with results.
Hi Guys . I Have The Very Same problem with Fn key and Viao VCP F22fx Laptop . please advise .
Press the Fn key and then Esc.

Job done