Windows 7 Black Screen with blinking cursor

Closed
idojsteeb02 Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday January 29, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 30, 2013 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Hi,
I am hoping you will be able to help me with Windows 7 black screen with blinking cursor problem. When I turn on my computer it goes directly to the back screen with the blinking cursor. I have attempted to press the F8 but it is not doing anything for me. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time!

Related:

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Hi idojsteeb02,

This symptom (blank screen with cursor at the top left side of the screen) in most of the cases indicates Hard Drive issues. I can try assisting you with troubleshooting. Please try the below mentioned steps and check if this helps:

1. Power off the computer and disconnect all the power sources and external devices.
2. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and then release.
3. Put the Power Source back and power on the computer and check if the computer boots normally.
4. If the computer doesn't boot normally in step 3, check in the BIOS if the Hard Drive is detected.
5. If the Hard Drive is not listed in BIOS, Load the BIOS Defaults and then restart the computer.
6. If you again get the same screen, take a technician's help to reseat the Hard Drive (if you wish to do it yourself you can refer to service manual).
Note: Before you start working with insides of the computer, please go through the pre-removal instructions mentioned in Service Manual, this is for your and machine's safety.
7. After reseating if the Hard Drive is not detected again, please try a different Hard Drive cable if this is a desktop.
8. If the Hard Drive is still not detected, you need to replace the Hard Drive.
9. If the Hard Drive is listed in Step 4, run the Diagnostics provided by the manufacturer on the Hard Drive.
10. If the Hard Drive Test gives any error please contact your computer company's support for further course of action.

Some of the steps mentioned above are specific to system models, if you need steps on how to them, please reply with the exact System Model Number of your computer.

Please do write back to us.