Connecting two computers into a router

Closed
Confused - Feb 15, 2009 at 01:17 AM
 lynn - Sep 14, 2010 at 03:18 AM
Hello,
I'm a fairly big newbie when it comes to networking, and I was trying to set up a network among my cousins' two computers via ethernet cables and a router. I foolishly thought that it was as simple as plugging in the dsl modem ethernet cable into the router where indicated, and plugging in the two individual ethernet cables from both computers into one of the 4/5 slots. I believe I was using the BEFSR41 Linksys Router (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/BEFSR41 and it was bought brand-new. After having done so, and WITHOUT installing any software, I tested both computers by trying to open an internet browser and surfing the internet. Both worked for 20-30 minutes simultaneously, so I left assuming everything was fine. However, a half hour after I had left, I was told that only one computer could be online at one time, and the other would not connect at all. I probably shouldn't post before at least installing the router onto both computers, but I was curious if that was not all that it takes. Again, I'm a completely ignorant newbie when it comes to networking and I was hoping someone could give me some advice, or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks.

2 responses

NickNYC Posts 14 Registration date Saturday February 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2009
Feb 15, 2009 at 02:36 AM
With the Computer you are using now to view this....

Hold down the SHIFT KEY and Click on the link below to view the Router Manual...
Or copy/paste the address to a browser's address box and hit ENTER... on the keyboard.

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/manuals/befsr41.pdf

1. Connect your DSL MODEM to your Router's WAN Port.

2. Connect one of your computers to Port 1 of the router.

3. Open a Browser window and type in this address.
Or
Click on the link below... (Hold down the SHIFT Key before you click on the link below.
This will make it open in another browser window so you dont loose my instructions...)

http://192.168.1.1

4. When you get a Login POP UP... Dont type anything in the "USER Name" Box area,
Just type "admin" in the Password box and click "OK".

5. On the First page, enter your DSL Account Login Name and Password if you have one under PPPoE area...

6. Click APPLY

7. Hookup the other computer to PORT 2.

8. UNPLUG THE MODEM's Power cord.

9. WAIT 2 MINUTES

10. PLUG THE POWER BACK IN.

11. Try the internet after 30 seconds...

Did it work? If not, call these guys if you're in NYC. They'll get you up and running..

https://www.epicdatarecovery.com/
Is this the only way to connect two computers to 1 router? My roomates computer is not a laptop or notebook. its a desktop and cant be moved into my room where the router is...
it's linksys. they suck beyond belief. Try any other router...D-link worked for me. As a matter of fact, I have been trying to do the same thing for over a week and been with Tech support for a total of about 6 hours. In used an old router and no problems at all. good luck
NickNYC Posts 14 Registration date Saturday February 14, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2009
Feb 16, 2009 at 07:15 PM
Vanhalen,

what was wrong in your sit?
i do use D-Link..but the same problem as jess is still happen to me..