20 volts instead of 19 volts

Closed
sillyuser - Feb 15, 2013 at 07:00 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Feb 15, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Hello,

my laptops 19 volt power supply stopped working so I plugged in a 20 volt power supply from my other laptop now I am having trouble with the screen ...... its black but laptop seems to be starting as normal etc just screen not working would one extra volt really be that critical ?

1 response

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 15, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Hi,

Different laptops were designed to consume power varied by equipment such as CD-ROM, LCD size, CPU maker and CPU speed. You are required to use the "matching voltage". Only use the laptop AC adapter that output the matching voltage of your laptop.

After replacing the AC adapter with the correct one if there is still no video you can try these simple steps and check if this fixes the problem:

1. Remove AC Adapter and battery from the computer.
2. Remove any External peripherals from the machine.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
4. Re-connect the AC Adapter only and try to power on the computer.
5. Check if the video is back.
6. If not, check Video on external Monitor, if available.
7. If video is displayed on the external monitor and no video on the Notebook LCD, this indicates an issue with the Notebook LCD or the LCD cable.
8. Take a technician's help and try to reseat the LCD Cable. Refer to the Service Manual for detailed steps on how to reseat the LCD Cable.
9. If the Video is not available on external monitor as well this indicates a failure with the Video Chip on the motherboard.

Do reply with results.