Dell Inspiron black screen - retrieve information

Closed
SAB1987 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday February 17, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 17, 2013 - Feb 17, 2013 at 03:39 PM
 Tan - Nov 21, 2016 at 07:40 AM
Hello,

Today tried to load my Inspiron 1545 up after hibernating two days before and although it sounded normal the screen never loaded. The screen isn't completely black as there is light - I'm not laptop savvy at all but guessing this is the back light? Anyway I have read loads of forums and tried doing battery removal then hold power button then switch on but the screen still doesn't come up. In the end I don't want to fix this problem if not needed - the laptop is over 3 years old and I need to get a new one anyway but stupidly I didn't back up my data. So my question; is there a way I can get my information off using an external monitor?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 17, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Well we don't know if the screen is broken or Windows is just failing to start. If you hear the windows start-up audio then you know the computer has fully booted. You could try a external monitor and press the PF key to activate the monitor port. The external video port is not activated until you press the key.

If you can't get an image on the external monitor you could still access your data by removing the hard drive and putting it into a USB hard drive enclosure. Then you can use the old hard drive with your new laptop.

Good Luck
My Dell Inspiron 5545 laptop has the same problem. I don't know if I should try to open up the bottom of my laptop to take the battery out, though. I tried letting the battery run out completely and going to System Setup twice and it didn't work. The battery is working normally and I can charge my devices on it, but I can't seem to get past the logo.