Spam

Closed
randypan Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday February 26, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 26, 2013 - Feb 26, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 26, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Hello,
I would dearly appreciate anyone who can offer advice on how I can cut down on the amount of spam I am getting. Even using sweep, block, delete, the same stuff inundates my inbox every day, 30 to 40 is not unusual. Not being much of a techno head I am at a loss and would be very grateful to the community for any assistance, ie: is it possible to block by "subject".
Thank you for any help forthcoming

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Feb 26, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Greetings Randy,

If I were you, I would be steaming !

Are the spams coming from the same senders ?

Have you tried the following solution ?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-email/how-do-i-report-abuse-or-spam-in-hotmail/703b31d1-0381-4240-90ef-ff3c4ba66fad

You can also change your Hotmail junk filter's sensitivity:

*Select Options | More options from the main Windows Live Hotmail navigation bar.
*Follow the Filters and reporting link under Junk e-mail.
*Choose Standard under Choose a junk e-mail filter.
*Click Save.

(The possible settings of the Windows Live Hotmail Junk Mail Filter are Low, Standard and Exclusive. )

The Windows Live Hotmail spam filters are not perfect, so a one or the other piece of spam will arrive in your Windows Live Hotmail Inbox, but the majority will go to the Junk folder automatically. At the same time only few legitimate emails will be filtered out by mistake, so it is usually safe to select Standard instead of Low.

The Exclusive Windows Live Hotmail Junk Mail Filter will consider all mail that does not come from trusted sources as spam and move it to the Junk folder. While this is certainly most effective against spam, chances are legit messages will be deleted unless you go through your Windows Live Hotmail Junk folder regularly (and that's exactly what we want to avoid, is it not?).

Make Sure Windows Live Hotmail Doesn't Ban Important Mail as Junk
To prevent Hotmail from banning important messages as spam:

*Select Options | More Options... from the Windows Live Hotmail toolbar.
*Follow the Safe and blocked senders link under Preventing junk email.
*Click Safe senders.
*Type the email address or domain you want to put on the Safe senders list in the Sender or domain to mark as safe: entry field.
*To whitelist all About newsletters, for example, type "about.com".

Good luck
randypan Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday February 26, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 26, 2013
Feb 26, 2013 at 06:27 AM
Many thanks ambucias for the rapid response, steaming is not the word, I wouldn't even try to describe what the word is, being a newbie to the forum, I already got a smack on the wrist from moderator for not being polite enough in my first attempt.
I will play around with what you said and see how it goes. I wonder if there is a development opportunity for the question of filtering by "subject", or sending a killer zap back to the originators?? OK Ok, just fantasizing now.

thanks again
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Feb 26, 2013 at 07:09 AM
Oh no ! Not a smack on the wrist by a moderator like me ! Shame! I hope that you are healed and that your ego is intact.

I have not used Hotmail for quite some time, I use my ISP's e-mail service and Outlook.

Hotmail is far from being safe, there are many hacking cases.

Unfortunately, I wish there was a way to zap back the e-mail to the sender,

You have not answered: do those spams seem to originate from the same senders ?

When using Hotmail, I was innondated with spams, frustration was a lite word. I closed and opened a new account.

Others have found relief by changing their IP address. You are running on Mac, unfamiliar with MAC, I can't tell you how to change it.

Let me know how you are doing for I have a profound hate for spammers. Nowadays, it seems that most spams originate from Asia.

Good luck and God save the Queen.
randypan Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday February 26, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 26, 2013
Feb 26, 2013 at 07:31 AM
whats it got to do with the Queen, don't tell me she is getting loads of spam as well!!!!
the addresses are always a little bit different, but the subject is always exactly the same.
Hotmail is changing to outlook, I switched over to try it, didn't like the layout, but it won't let me switch back again. When I queried it they said all hotmail accounts were moving to outlook, and they had now removed the facility to switch back again.
thought about changing my account, but going through my address book and letting everyone know would not cover all angles, as there are people who contact me occasionally who are not in there. I will persevere and see what I can come up with, incidentally, the spam is exactly the same in outlook.
thanks again for your indulgence with a digital dummy

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Feb 26, 2013 at 05:50 PM
Dear Randy,

Yes ! The Queen also gets spammed but she has a much better filter, her personal secretary.

You are correct about Outlook. I meant that I use Microsoft Office Outlook or Outlook Express.

Spammers use a software which targets Hotmail or Outlook.com or other ISP e-mail service. They got your number and if it worked once, you are done. You may have replied to one, even to ask to leave you alone. That may have done it.

The problem about the spams, if they get filtered, the go into trash, but some of your legitimate messages may also get filtered and trashed.

If you do not have the possibility of using either an e-mail software or if your Internet Service Provider does not have an e-mail website for you to use, ask your Internet Service Provider (BtCentralplus) on how to change your Internet Protocol address, the one that starts with 86.160.---.---

If there is no improvement, try opening an account with GMail and as time goes on your friends will write to you on GMail.

Had you not been on a Mac, I would have suggested a malware check.

Please don't say you a digital dummy or you may become one. You are learning just as everybody else did, through trial and error and asking for advice.

Please, take this wise Canadian advice: Chin-up ! Chest out ! Down the hatch ! Bob's you're uncle and see you in Tipperary !