Toshiba Satellite laptop screen broken and I need a file

Closed
lbendix Posts 1 Registration date Sunday March 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 10, 2013 - Mar 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 10, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Hello,
I have not used the computer or over a year but I need a file off of this computer. The last time I used it the control settings were working for dual monitors. Now I can boot, press F(2) and that all comes up on second monitor but then it goes black and I see the un usable 1/3 of the Toshiba laptop screen adn second monitor is black. I do not want to FIX this computer in fact when I get it on the 2nd monitor I will restore to factory settings to clear my personal data and properly recycle the hardware (if that is possible).
Louise

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 10, 2013 at 05:23 PM
You can, with the proper connector, remove and use the hard drive as a USB external drive. Depending on its age the laptop might be using a PATA or SATA hard drive. You need to identify which type of drive so you can purchase the correct adapter. You just plug the drive into the $20 adapter and you will be able to read the files from the old PC. You can then recycle the laptop and either retain the drive or smash it with a hammer to protect your data.

Good Luck