Hp says my bios is corrupted

Closed
cathybrian Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2013 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM
They was 179.99 to repair. Isnt there someway to do this myself? It is an HP Pavilion dv6 3210 us thanks!
Related:

7 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 2, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Hi cathybrian,

If you need any older version of BIOS, you can find it here. Also, I would like to know as to what you mean by "bypass this back screen".

Please do write back to us.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Apr 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Hi cathybrian,

An updated version of BIOS for "HP Pavilion dv6-3210us Entertainment Notebook PC" is available on HP website. If the computer is booting to Windows, the BIOS can be updated easily. However, you should always update the BIOS under technical supervision of a qualified technician or manufacturer. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

You can access the BIOS download page by clicking here. Click "How to install" tab on the page to find instructions on how to update the BIOS.

Please reply if you have any further queries.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell
cathybrian Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2013
Apr 2, 2013 at 01:21 AM
is there anyway to get a historical BIOS? Someway of trying to bypass this back screen?

Thanks
cathybrian Posts 4 Registration date Tuesday April 2, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 2, 2013
Apr 2, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Sorry, Her computer screen stays black. The computer starts up but, the screen never gets to anything that I can work with. the lights on the side by the plug in are on solid the caps lock light blinks twice then stops then blinks twice and stops. But the screen never changes to anything but black. Is there anyway I can force something to pop on the screen for a previous BIOS item?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Apr 2, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Hi cathybrian,

We started troubleshooting the situation with the Flash of BIOS. However, the problem seems to be different. I would like to know as to what troubleshooting steps you have performed so far. Try the below mentioned steps and check if you can recover the laptop from this state of inactivity:

1. Remove AC Adapter and battery from the computer.
2. Remove any External peripherals from the machine.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
4. Re-connect the AC Adapter only and try to power on the computer.
5. Check if any difference is observed.

Do reply with results.
Apr 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Came up for a few seconds to a minute. black screen CMOS check sum failed.....
CMOS Reset 502 enter to reboot.

I did not enter. It did it itself now black screen again and the flashing 2 light on the caps lock. after a min it shut itself completely off .

I have also done the hold windows and "B" key then press power for 3 sec the BIOS screen does not come up it gets stuck in a loop of turning itself on and off.
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Hi cathybrian,

For CMOS related issues if the computer can enter BIOS Setup, we load the BIOS Defaults and if the computer cannot enter BIOS Setup (which is your case), reseating and if the issue persist replacing the "RTC battery" can be tried. However, it is highly recommended that reseating/replacing of "RTC battery" should be done under technical supervision only. Preferably take help from HP technical support. If you are doing it yourself (of course with the help of a technician) you might find the service manual helpful. You can download the service manual from here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02659236.pdf

Steps to replace the CMOS battery is mentioned on page number 55 onward.

Note: The step mentioned above requires you to open the computer chassis. Before you open the computer chassis ensure all power connections including battery and external devices are removed. After removing all of this, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any Flea Power in the computer. Preferably take a technician's help.

Please reply if you have any further queries.