Im pretty sure my explorer.exe corrupted

Closed
nick - Mar 27, 2015 at 12:08 AM
 nick - Mar 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Hello,

I dont know when or how it happened, but currently any time I open anything tied to windows explorer I get a large white box as if it is loading explorer.exe and nothing else. nothing loads, I cant close, I have to force close it through the task manager. I have tried deleting the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe using regedit to no avail.
I have windows 7, use an AMD motherboard, ive tried using malwarebytes and superantispyware.

i cant currently think of any other info to add atm

1 response

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Mar 27, 2015 at 12:56 AM
Hello,
Follow these steps,

1. Most of the times the Explorer crashes due a bad or corrupt Context Menu the best way to troubleshoot is to download thehttp://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
is an excellent tool to view and manage all installed shell extensions. The rule is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView.

2. Then next thing to do is to run SFC /SCANNOW. The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible. Follow this document for further help SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

3. If these steps files the Create a New Windows Profile sometimes a corrupt Windows Profile. Follow this Microsoft document for more help in creating New Profile and moving the files Fix a corrupted user profile

4. If that fails then it might some some corrupt Windows Files that is causing the issue we could try to do a Repair Install. Follow this article for more info Repair Install

5. If you still have the problem we have to investigate more then download the below Registry file

Download : Registry Fix
Right click on the .reg file and click on Merge.
Click on the Run button in the Security Warning pop-up.
Click on Continue (UAC), Yes, and OK when prompted.
Regards
thanks a lot for the quick reply, im working on trying step one, I know SFC /scannow doesnt fix anything. it will create the log and I do have a copy of one. I have also tried creating a new profile, the error persists through both.
ok, I tried doing step one, I narrow the menu to showing context menu items and there aer only 6 that are non-microsoft. I tried disabling/re-enabling them one by one and trying to open my files icon and still got the white box and a loading icon when the mouse is moved inside it.
Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Mar 27, 2015 at 01:46 AM
I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

After installing it and updating it I would run the long (complete) scan.
nick > Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016
Mar 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM
I have that as well, all these scans show up as clean except for a few tracking cookies