Windows XP Professional Setup problem

Closed
Beamer Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday June 4, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2013 - Jun 4, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Jun 5, 2013 at 03:07 AM
My laptop with Windows XP crashed. Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on my laptop Dell computer after I loaded a large backup from my external hard drive I had for my desktop. Could this have ruined my hard disk drive?

I loaded the installation CD that did not fix the problem. F1 was tried, no bootable devices, F2 the system shows the laptop is in factory default is enabled.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Related:

2 responses

carminabigue Posts 620 Registration date Tuesday March 19, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2015 125
Jun 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Check your bios, make sure your sata controller is set to ATA, not AHCI. Otherwise the computer wont see the drive when trying to install XP in some cases.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jun 5, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Hi Beamer,

Try these steps and reply with the results:

1. Disconnect external peripherals (Like Printers, scanners, USB media/ HDD, optical media). Disconnect the AC Adapter and Battery from the laptop. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to release any flea power stored in the computer. Connect only the AC Adapter and battery and check if the computer detects the Hard Drive and boots. This step will confirm if any of the external devices or disc in the optical drive is causing the No boot. If the computer is still not booting, follow the next step.
2. Check if the Hard Drive is recognized in BIOS. If yes, follow next step. If no, load BIOS defaults and re-seat the Hard Drive (check the Service Manual for steps on how to re-seat the Hard Drive or take a technician's help to re-seat). If still not detected, the problem might be with Hard Drive in the Laptop and would need to be changed.
3. Run Dell 32-bit diagnostics (click here to find steps on how to run Dell 32-bit Diagnostics) and check if the test returns any errors on the Hard Drive. If test returns any error code, reply with the exact text of the error code returned.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6