Windows XP Search Puzzler

Closed
boweasel Posts 7 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 23, 2013 - Aug 20, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Aug 24, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Hello,
The XP searches I do are pretty much always to find something on an external drive. I always start by going to My Computer, selecting the drive, selecting the folder and clicking Search from the menu bar to bring up the search companion. I then enter part of the file name and click Search. I hardly ever use the Advanced Options.

The first search always works perfecly. But if I initiate a second search from that same page by changing the file name, it almost always gives me an immediate negative result.

If I then go to the Advanced Options, I see that in the Type of File box is listed AAC Audio Book.

I don't want to search for a particular type of file, but I can't get back to a blank in the type of file. And the pulldown, although it has dozens of file type listed, has nothing for All Files and Folders.

I have to X out of the search, re-click My Computer and start over.

When I do start over, if I click Advanced Options, the Type of File box is empty, which is what I want. I just don't know how to re-empty it after every search..

I do a lot of searches and it's a pain in the butt to have to close the search every time..

Anybody know how to fix this minor, but annoying problem? I can find nothing online about it. The AAC Audio Book file type is the first type listed. I just don't know why it defaults to that after almost every search. Other XP PCs have (All Files and Folders) listed as the first type in the Type of File pulldown. This one doesn't.

I gather that it's some sort of registry setting that needs to be changed, but I don't know what the tweak or fix is...

Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Aug 20, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Hello,

When did you last update your Windows XP SP3 ?

Windows XP SP3 now has a new search tool called Windows Search which is located in the taskbar which is called "Windows Search" which looks like a magnifying glass. I suggest you try that.
boweasel Posts 7 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 23, 2013
Aug 22, 2013 at 08:15 PM
I update it regularly, but I always choose the custom updates, and I must have unchecked it, but what I was REALLY looking for is a way to get the current Windows search to work the way it's supposed to...
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Aug 23, 2013 at 06:00 AM
Then everytimeyou make a search you must delete your temporary files
boweasel Posts 7 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 23, 2013
Aug 23, 2013 at 09:48 PM
That's absurd! That desktop is not the first or only Windows XP computer I've ever had. In fact I'm typing this on an old XP laptop on which I've performed hundreds of searches. And it always allows me to select (All Files and Folders).

Anybody else, or am I locked into you?
Aug 24, 2013 at 05:16 AM
How can you say it's absurb ? You just don't believe me yet I have had the very same annoying issue on XP.

No, you are not locked on to me and any other member can provide an answer on this thread.

Mind you, I suggest you take a look at this download, you may just thank me for it.

http://ccm.net/download/download-13648-windows-search