2nd HDD not seen, but already filled will data

Closed
mikejvir Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2013 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
mikejvir Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2013 - Oct 10, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Hello All,

I reviewed the forum and did not find the answer to my problem. I just purchased a used HP with Windows 7 (P7-1254). From my old computer I had a 1.5 TB slave drive that I installed (it has all my music which is over 100 GB). The old computer is a Compaq Presiario Windows XP. The new system sees the hard drive in the BIOS and under the Computer Management screen. Under the Storage Management, the hard drive is seen (Disk 1) with no letter information. It says Dynamic and Foreign.

Since I really do not want to reformat, I am at a loss as to what to do next. I appreciate the help.

Mike Virostko
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 8, 2013 at 01:49 PM
This is the Microsoft solution:

Step 1:

You may try the following steps and check:

a. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.? If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

c. Then check if the drive is listed there.

d. If the drive gets recognized in disk management, you may assign a new drive letter and check.

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Step 2:

You can try to give permissions to external drives and check.

a. Right click on the external drive and select "Properties"

b. Click on Edit in Properties Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.

c. Select user/group from permission windows or click on add to add another user or group.

d. Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant (check "Full Control" under the "Allow") to grant full access permissions.

For more information on permissions in Windows 7, refer this link.

What are permissions?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Good Luck
mikejvir Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2013
Oct 10, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the help. This was not the exact answer needed, but it did put me in the correct direction.

It was a much simpler answer. Since the drive was working on another computer, the drive was seen as foreign. All I had do was right click on the Disk, and select "Import a foreign disk". The disk was immediately seen.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Virostko