Stymied by IDE ribbon cables in a Compaq SR1630NX.

Closed
oldsailor81 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday November 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen November 3, 2013 - Nov 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I received this computer in a BUSHEL basket.....IE (HEATHKIT). I have tested the power supply and all the voltages are good to go,and the greenlight lights up. I installed a new A8AE-LE MOTHERBOARD,and installed 4 new DDR PC 3200 RAM sticks which takes the memory to 2 gig. All I really need. I intend to replace the 200gig harddrive with something in the range of a WD 400 GB. At present I am at the wire plug in stage,and I am having difficulty comprehending where the long ribbon connects with respect to the mother board. I think that the blue connector on the ribbon cable plugs into the Blue primary IDE connector on the motherboard,but I am not sure of this. The motherboard has two portsin close proximity to each other one is blue and one is black,and both are. Here is what I think....The DVD-RW plug into the long ribbon and it in turn plugs into the black connector on the motherboard....then the shorter ribbon cable plugs into the hard drive and in turn to the blue socket on the motherboard. I could be wrong that is why I am asking for help.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
It really doesn't make any difference which plug you use the BIOS will search and find the bootable device. One plug should be marked IDE1 and the other IDE2. I would use the hard drive on IDE1 since the BIOS is already set to boot from that device and it will save a little time on booting.

When you upgrade the hard drive I suggest you buy a SATA drive and use the SATA1 port on the motherboard. The SATA drive will be faster and probably cost less than an IDE drive.

Good Luck