Sony VAIO - Keyboard issue

Closed
Trepan Posts 1 Registration date Friday January 3, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 3, 2014 - Jan 3, 2014 at 08:11 AM
 Trepan - Jan 4, 2014 at 08:58 AM
My first post so here's hoping...

When I enter an email address this is an example of what happens - anyone"gmail.com

The 'at' does not appear when the uppercase key and the 'at' key is depressed.

I have found that by pressing the uppercase and numeric 2 keys gives me @

Also when the uppercase and one to zero keys are pressed this is what appears: -

! @ # $ % ^ & * ( )

I hope I have explained what the issue is and hope that someone can help me sort this out.

T
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 3, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Ok, so let us get some keyboard terms standardized, that is the first thing.

Uppercase is not a key, but grammer. There are Three (3) keys on the keyboard that will produce an uppercase letter;2(ea) shifts keys, and 1(ea) capslock.

When you say:
"Also when the uppercase and one to zero keys are pressed this is what appears: -

! @ # $ % ^ & * ( )"

That is normal operation for the SHIFT key (either one) being held down while typing. Once again, normal operation.

You WILL NOT GET THE SAME RESULT WITH THE CAPSLOCK ON AND TYPING 123456789, SEE!

sO, IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO USE THE CAPSLOCK AND THE @ SIGN, IT WILL NOT WORK, YOU WILL STILL NEED TO HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY.

Please, forgive me for the caps lock, but I was trying to make a point!

I would suggest taking some keyboard lessons. If you still beleive that it is not functioning correclty, then check sticky keys!

Have FUN!
//ark
-Moderator/Contributor
Thanks for that and okay with your comments on terminology my mistake in using the incorrect descriptors.

Quote: - When you say:
"Also when the uppercase and one to zero keys are pressed this is what appears: -

! @ # $ % ^ & * ( )"

Sorry but that is never been the norm with the keyboard on this laptop (I have a '£' sign 'above' 3 which does not appear at all when carrying out the operation I described)

Holding down the 'shift' key does not produce the '@' on my laptop keyboard as you say, I have to hold down the 'shift' key and press number '2' then you get '@' so something had changed the key board settings and that is what has thrown me..

Been using computers since 1978 and as such I thought my keyboard skills were okay however this issue with the Laptop came at me from the 'left field' so completely threw me given it was working just fine when I purchased it about 2 years ago.

I should mention that the Laptop has two accounts - mine as Admin and one for my wife (a very accomplished keyboard operator) and I have been convinced that she given her dexterity and speed on the keyboard had hit a combination of keys that somehow have changed the settings (not as she would ever admit to that!)

So having read your response and much grinding of the few teeth I have left after nearly 73 years of use I checked out the settings on my account and found that they differed to the settings on my wife's account so I replicated them and all is now well - silly really I should have dug a little deeper within the 'Control Panel' / 'Clock, Language and Region' then the 'Keyboard and Language' tab it was set on 'US English' so as I said I replicated the settings and it is now set on 'English - United Kingdom'

I am always reluctant to dig deep into such things given I fear doing more harm than good.

Thanks for the response.