I have bug(s)

Closed
Ron - Mar 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 1, 2009 at 03:20 PM
Hello,
My laptop contracted a bug, virus or whatever. When it was operating normally the last time it started having all kinds of messages telling me that I have a virus. When I shut the computer down, and now try to restart it will get as far as the user ID ok, but when I click that icon it will shut down. The program is XP home. I do have a Norton 360 program installed, but that appears to be absolutely useless!
Would appreciate any help!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 1, 2009 at 03:20 PM
The only sure way out of your mess is a complete Windows re-install.
But, first I would try a bootable antivirus product called AVIRA Rescue-CD It comes as a download that when executed burns a bootable CD on another computer. The Linux based CD is able to find and optionally remove or rename various virus and malware programs. Out of the box it is in German - you must click on the Union-Jack flag to change the interface to English. The default options just alert you when it finds a problem. You must go to the configuration settings tab and order it to remove the offending programs.

https://www.avira.com/