Missing Passkey

Closed
babygrl8301 Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 20, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 20, 2014 - Jan 20, 2014 at 04:59 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
I am pretty sure that the person that set up our wireless router removed the passcode so that we would have to pay to call him back out. I need to secure our wireless network. Right now it is open to just anyone. When I tried to do so, it asked for my passkey but it is not on the router anywhere. What do I do?

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jan 20, 2014 at 05:06 PM
you need to log in to your router to amend these settings.

whats your router?

the IP address of your router should be on the bottom.

go to a web page and type it in in the style (For example) http://192.168.0.1

username: admin password: may be on the bottom of router

it will be in the wireless security settings.
Blocked Profile
Jan 20, 2014 at 05:34 PM
You have to assume the end user doesnt have a clue on how to get the IP config like we do. Hence the simple approach.

A hard reset would be no good if they dont have the settings to set it back up again.
Blocked Profile
Jan 21, 2014 at 09:55 AM
Once you tell the user to reset their router, all the settings on that router will clear out and return to factory settings.

this means the login details and connection details from the Internet Service Provider (ISP) will disappear and the router will no longer authenticate with the ISP and she will lose internet access until it is set back up again.

babygrl8301 - Disregard ac3mark's comments and do as i ask first (stated above). If you cannot get on to the router using the settings stated on the bottom of the router then you need to make sure you have your username/password for your broadband which your service provider will give you. You may need to call them if you dont have them.

Only then, should you reset your router. There will be a reset button on the router. You may need to hold it in for 10 seconds using a pin. Once restarted, the IP address on the bottom of the router will be the correct one.
Blocked Profile
Jan 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM
@Babygirl.....If you are delaing with ISP Router, who cares then. Tell them to fix it, or you will cancel..

But go ahead and Disregard my comments, as it is OBVIOUS I have no idea what I am talking about.

@keiferschild...You started off with an assumption of the SUBNET, and didn't start with the make and model. HAVE FUN!
Blocked Profile
Jan 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM
@ac3mark - Dont be sour. Everyone's feedback is based on assumptions.
Blocked Profile
Jan 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Well, actually, your statement about feedback is not true (!=). I am not assuming something that I have witnessed, it is fact at that time.

As far as sour, not in the least.

******UPDATE*******************UPDATE*****************UPDATE************************
I was just looking at the bottom of my router, and i see a mac address, and a model number, and serial number. I see my manufacturers name and an FCC license agreement, in CANADA it is agreement ICES/NMB003, CLASS B. If i were to take it apart, it would void my warranty. But how would I find my IP address? If I know my manufacturer, then I can ALWAYS go back to my defaults.

@babygirl....If my router was my ISP's, I WOULD JUMP on their desk until THEY FIXED it. I most certainly WOULD NOT call the installer back. IF the installer was the ISP, then get another provider, or TELL A SUPERVISOR!

@babygirl....Learn about what you are using. :) You will not have to be a techie to understand how simple it all operates. It is a protocol. Start with Protocol.