Unable to format TomTom via USB in Windows 7 64bit (ultimate)

Closed
kevinward59 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 06:05 AM
kevinward59 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2014 - Feb 6, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Right click > format gets response windows can't format.

Command line

Format f:/ enter

Gives:-
Error in IOCTL call

TomTom is found in windows Explorer Windows (7) ultimate as a mass storage device and labelled TomTom but no size. It only shows as "Online" in Disk Management and shows nothing in the partition details section.

I tried various boot discs with various formatting utilities - but none find the drive.

Any suggestions anyone please.
Related:

2 responses

kevinward59 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2014
Feb 6, 2014 at 09:00 AM
See part solution details.

Subject to update.
kevinward59 Posts 3 Registration date Thursday February 6, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 6, 2014
Feb 6, 2014 at 09:01 AM
I am replying to myself because i have been able to access the tomtom harddrive and am now doing a copy/paste backup to a new folder that ive created in downloads (just my preferred storage place for programs etc).

The copying is estimated by windows 7 at 23 hours (All EEC & USA Maps etc).

I started laptop in safemode by holding F8 and just selected safemode.

Then tried chkdsk f:

Right clicked and scanned for virusses but only accessed for a couple of minutes.

Tried Right zclick format - still no joy.

Went to computer management and changed/created a new path creating a dats file on c drive.

Uninstalled and tried a reboot.

Still wouldnt access after reboot and f: not showing.

Using device manager i searched for and installed new hardware after changing usb port.

It was found and installed and with a right click enabled.

Then showed in Disk Management as a healthy drive.

So am now waiting for backup copying to finish before i try to update with tomtom home.

If unsucessful i will format as advised on tomtom forums.

Will update later.

Some of the above may help recover/find/access inaccessible HDD and other USB Pen Drives.