Blank screen no logo at startup dell

Closed
onetaz61 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday May 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 17, 2014 - May 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM
molly_dog Posts 10 Registration date Sunday June 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015 - May 17, 2014 at 04:40 PM
When we power on the dell m1530 laptop we get no power to the monitor just a blsnk screen. I tested on another monitor and got the same thing. F8 didnt work or did draining all power then restarting. Please help.

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
May 17, 2014 at 04:16 PM
Hi

How did you drain the "flea" power?
molly_dog Posts 10 Registration date Sunday June 30, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2015
May 17, 2014 at 04:40 PM
Are you getting any beeps or keys like CAPS Lock or WiFi flashing? I'm not sure about Dell but my HP laptop's video chip failed which resulted in a black screen with both the CAPS Lock & WiFi lighted keys to flash slowly and continuously.

If you cannot get a display with an external monitor either, it sounds to me like the video chip has failed.

I don't know how "hands-on" you are but a failed video chip usually requires a new motherboard because the chip is attached to the main board and typically cannot be removed/replaced.

But, first things first, are you getting any information from your laptop at all or is it just complete silence and a black screen?

Try booting it up again. Let it run for a few minutes.
*Do you hear the cooling fan running?
*Is the hard drive spinning?
*Pay close attention to any beeps made. Try to catch the sequence: 2 short and 1 Long, for example.
*Look for any keys that have small LEDs in them to see if they're flashing in a pattern.

I'll check back in a little while. One of my neighbors is having a computer issue, too, so I'm going down there for a bit.