One RAM slot not working?

Solved/Closed
Audren21 Posts 4 Registration date Friday May 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2014 - Updated on Dec 19, 2018 at 04:31 AM
 kpjs - Apr 16, 2019 at 12:50 AM
Hey there,

I am using a quite old MSI 740GTM -P25 Motherboard with an AMD Phenom 2 X2 555, 4 Gigs of RAM.

Here's my problem. When I place both RAM sticks (2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair) in the two available slots of the motherboard. Once I boot it up, the computer won't boot. I get no signal. But, if I put a RAM in the first slot, the computer boots perfectly.

I attempted putting the working RAM into the other slot but did not get success.

What can be the problem?

Please help!
Related:

1 response

Audren21 Posts 4 Registration date Friday May 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen May 24, 2014 5
Updated on Dec 19, 2018 at 04:33 AM
Hi,

I cleaned the RAM slot with Alcohol and a toothbrush. It is now working.

Hope, it will work in your case!

Thanks!
Thanks Audren! This worked for me! I have now got 2/4 slots working (previously only 1/4 was working! :@). I'm guessing that the other two slots will also work but will need a bit more rigorous cleaning. But currently am happy that I got at least one out of the three that were not detecting cards at all to function!

I guess this happened cause I've never used any other RAM slots since I bought the PC, and the three unused ones have been eating dust for nearly four years now!
thankyou.this
saved my day