January 4, 2013
-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
-
A couple weeks ago, i was cleaning my desktop computer, and for curiosity, i took out one of my 3 ram chips and put it back in. After that, when i tried to boot my computer it made ticking sounds from the motherboard, and the cd drive kept making jerky moves and sounds and there was no signal to monitor. I turned it off, turned it back on, it worked like normal. I turned it off again and turned it on, it worked. The computer works fine when it works, and when i reboot it right after i turn it off, it works fine as well, but when i turn it off overnight, the next morning it wont boot and make the same ticking noise with no signal to monitor. I have to keep turning on and off the computer until i get lucky and it will boot.
I tried:
-clearing CMOS with jumpers
-reseating all my ram, tried booting without any ram
-took out the power cord, held power button, reconnected
None of these worked

Please help!

4 replies

Registration date
Thursday January 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 4, 2013
Oh and when it does turn on, it makes a high pitch sound then beeps, but no beep when it doesnt. Just the high pitch sound, then ticking
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2821 users have said thank you to us this month

Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
Hello,

Looks like you might have disturbed a motherboard circuit during the cleaning operation or when removing the ram stick.

How did you proceed to clean ?

Can you describe the beep ? It is just one long beep, short beeps, etc.

Regards
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
You have a Canadian accent !?
Registration date
Thursday January 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 4, 2013
Its just one short beep that computers do before they boot. It takes like 20 tries rebooting the system in the morning. What should i do? Right now i just put the computer on sleep
Registration date
Thursday January 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 4, 2013
I cleaned it with a vaccuum tube
Registration date
Thursday January 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 4, 2013
If i disturbed the motherboard, it must be something associated with the booting process? Since everything else is working fine. How come it boots well right after the computer was turned off?
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
The short beep you have heard is definately linked to your motherboard. It can also mean that you are facing a problem with your system memory (BIOS AWARD); but most likely the motherboard or both.

A computer's belly must never be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner but with a can of compressed air which you can buy at Staples or similar stores. It's extremely risky to use a vacuum.

I'm afraid that nobody in any forum can help you repair, only a hands-on qualified technician can.

Sorry
Registration date
Thursday January 3, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 4, 2013
Why does it tick? I heard it's some code
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
I never heard of ticks as a code otherwise it would have been published in the Kioskea How-to section and certainly that someone over the years would have mentioned it on Kioskea.

The tick may come from the hard disk needle.

Here is a list of beep errors:

https://ccm.net/faq/344-how-to-recognize-computer-beeps

Good luck

P.S. Believe me, the vacuuming is the source cause, the vacuum may have displaced a small part, moreso if you touched or hit something.