4 GB USB Drive no longer functioning

Solved/Closed
Saltyone Posts 5 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2014 - Aug 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM
 gholamali - Oct 1, 2015 at 03:58 PM
I've used this drive on my Window 7 machine as well as my XP machine (both laptops) without a problem for years. I carry it on my keychain and I use it to transfer files for printing since I don't own a printer. The flash drive doesn't show up now. When I first plugged it in it did react as it normally does blue light flickered , request to set up sleep charge port etc only new thing was my NEW McAfee software request to scan which I declined, I then went to windows explore to find it and it wasn't present. I then went to remove it the usual way and it wasn't present in that format either. Any help?? Thanks
Related:

3 responses

nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Aug 18, 2014 at 02:06 AM
The drive might be infected or failing and you may need to completely format it first, which may eventually compromises the data stored on it.

Go to disk management and locate the USB drive and its status such as healthy or RAW. If the drive is healthy, you can access it simply by plugging it to another computer and see if its working. However, if the drive is in RAW status, you have to format it completely to use it any further.

P.S. Consider plugging it any other computer before following any step. It may possible that the problem is with your computer itself or the USB ports.

Hope it seems helpful for you!!
usb flash memory writeprotect
Saltyone Posts 5 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2014 1
Aug 18, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Thanks for your response. I did test the ports on this computer with another USB drive and it worked perfectly. I examined this flash drive and I see a crack in the exterior housing plus the led blue light doesn't function now. The light did flicker when I first plugged it in but nothing since then. I can't find this drive its just not showing up.
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Aug 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM
see if its seen in diskmgmt.msc if it is but no drive letter use the mount menu to set it. right click on the usb drive
Saltyone Posts 5 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2014 Status Member Last seen August 19, 2014 1
Aug 19, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Thanks problem solved.. I'm guessing that opening up disk mgmt most of kick started this flash drive, because it was not showing up but once I was in disk mgmt space it brought up all the usual items such as the setup menu for the sleep charge port and the usual menu for the drive. All was in order on the drive as well. Again thank you.