Cannot access my wd my passport external hard drive

Closed
kloukos Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2014 - Sep 16, 2014 at 06:06 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 22, 2014 at 08:34 AM
I have for a year now a WD my passport external HD,. It worked quite good, although sometimes it was not recognized by my Windows 7 ultimate, getting an error: "You need to format disk in drive K before you can use it". In order to 'cure" this problem I usually unplugged and reconnect, and everything was ok. Now it happened again, but with no cure!
The disk is recognized by device manager, "working properly", also by Disk Management as "healthy", BUT with unrecognizable file system described as RAW. What should I do????The disk is full with extremely important data!!!!
please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

KOSTAS
Related:

5 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 16, 2014 at 06:18 PM
You can try this software to recover the partition. I suspect the drive has a few bad sectors and can't determine how the drive is formatted.
I have not used this program but it comes highly recommended by others.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Good Luck
kloukos Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday September 16, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2014
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Thksfor ty your message. I will try and I will let you know. Best regards! Kostas
johnebadbak74 Posts 95 Registration date Monday May 19, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 14
Sep 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM
try right click on the hdd in computer click properties /click tools click error checking tab now windows may error check immediately or want to do it on a reboot if it does it this way don't touch it till the desktop is up and running.
thks/ I will try and see!!!!
Best regards

kloukos

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 22, 2014 at 08:34 AM
Hi, Kostas

The guys offered a pretty decent troubleshooting. I would like to add a few things. Try to recover your files with the chkdsk /r command. Have you tried the drive on another PC? Do it and if it works, backup your data and format the drive. Some users report that using a Linux Live CD may help you access your files in order to save them. If nothing else helps, try this option.
If your data is valuable and you can not access it, despite all intents, you should consult a data recovery company. I leave you a link to the WD data recovery partners. If you plan to use their services, do not try to recover the information by yourself with any third party software, because this may harm your files even further.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/technet-magazine/dd637756(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN - More details about chkdsk commands
https://support-en.wd.com/app/datarecovery - WD Data Recovery Partners

Hope this helps