2nd hard drive doesn't show

Closed
maxprakken Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 18, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2014 - Sep 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Sep 22, 2014 at 09:01 AM
hi, i have an problem where my 2nd hard drive does not show up on my computer nether my system, i have got my cables out and back in, and everyone says that i must format it, but i my computer doesn't registers it i can't format it. oh yeah, it a WD caviar green 2tb.
please help me.

greetings Max
Related:

4 responses

Blocked Profile
Sep 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM
OK, so I guess you didn't like my first response, as you are asking again. So, did you format it? Does your motherboard support hard drives that large? Did you check on specifications prior to getting a drive that large. What boot method are you using in BIOS? Did you update your hard drvie controller at the same time as the hard drive?

Did you partition it and mark it active?

These are all thing you must do in order for a drive to be recognised, if it can be recognized at all by your motherboard.

ONCE AGAIN, not all Motherboards will suport a drive that large. You may have to partition it down to 3 drvies in order for your machine to see it.

I hope this helps again.

By the way, I am going to erase your previous message, as double messages on this forum are not the most ideal situaion.

Have fun, and let us know if you have completed all of the above but it still doesn't work.

"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!" - Oliver Sykes; Bring Me The Horizon
maxprakken Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 18, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2014
Sep 18, 2014 at 01:42 PM
ac3mark, thanks for putting up the effort of helping me.

my motherboard does support the harddrive becaus yesterday it worked just fine, but when i booted today it just wasn't there. i can't format the drive becaus its noware to be found. i don't know how to partition my drive.
oh and sorry for the dubble message, when i uploaded the first one i realised i could just get an accound so i made an accound and it said that i had no message yet, so i uploaded it again.
i hope to hear from you again.

greetings Max
Blocked Profile
Sep 18, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Have you looked into this utility from asrock?
http://www.asrock.com/feature/3TB/index.asp

Let us know!
maxprakken Posts 3 Registration date Thursday September 18, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 19, 2014
Sep 19, 2014 at 09:35 AM
it didn't work, the weird thing is, a few days ago it did just fine, and i didnt change anything on my computer.
Blocked Profile
Sep 19, 2014 at 09:40 AM
OK Max. YOu may have been dealt a bad peice of hardware. I have heard of taking out the harddrive and freezing it (putting it in freezer bag) for a couple of hours, then trying to connect to it while cold. This can isolate hardware problems. If it boots frozen and not at room temp, then it is bad. WHile it is on get all of your data while you can.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 22, 2014 at 09:01 AM
Hi there,

Is the drive visible in Device Manager and BIOS? Can you confirm that it is getting enough power and is spinning? If it is seen in BIOS, but not in Windows and there are no valuable files on the drive, you should check if DOS formatting is an option. Try connecting the drive to another PC and check if the issue persists. Somehow I think it may be a connection issue and the drive may be completely healthy. Sadly, putting the drive in the freezer will not improve the situation and I do not recommend you doing it.
If you manage to access the file in Windows, check it with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, which is the WD disk check tool. I leave you a link below.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL - Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

Let us know if you have any progress.