Computer not starting up

Closed
dam73 Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday October 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 11, 2014 - Oct 7, 2014 at 03:05 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 11, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Hi I have a dell inspiron 530 ....had it since 2008 and been great till now
Come home last night and switched computer on to find that it would not boot .....i then tried settings by hitting f2 and checked for boot order ....this is when i noticed that its not seeing my hardrive anymore ? ...i then changed settings to boot from cd as i put in the operating system disk ..vista premium 32mb
And tried the repair option from disk ...it then said that computer could not be fixed and to send error report ....i read error report and it said that no hard drive present ?? I tried re installing drivers for hdd from utillities disk from dell ...but to no avail ...... i opened up pc just to check cables were all ok ...and they are .... i then powered up pc again to see if could feel anything from the hardrive ...it appeared as tho it was spinning ? So powered down again and I then undid the 4 screws holding hdd in place and took out .......tried starting up pc again and could deff feel movement inside hdd but still pc says no hardrive ??? Power down again ....removed cmos battery ....powered up ......then off again .....put batt back in and powered on ......now getting no feed to tv .....just fans running real fast ........tried removing all ram ...then powered on and mother board started to beep so think motherboards still good ...replaced ram cards and tried again ...no beeping this time but still no start up or feed to tv ? I dont have other pc to try hdd and graphics card in to see if working in other machine ......question is .....is my comp knackered or is it fixable ....please help .....lost without my comp :((

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 7, 2014 at 04:15 PM
Looks like the hard disk has failed. I suggest you buy a new HD and re-install Windows.

Good Luck
dam73 Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday October 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 11, 2014
Oct 7, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Thats just what i was thinking .....just didnt want to go and get new hdd and then find its no that at all ........got feed back to tv though ...still not seeing hdd tho .....will just have to get new hdd ....ah well better than new pc ......cheers
dam73 Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday October 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 11, 2014
Oct 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Got new hd but cant install windows as says hd must be formatted to ntfs ?? How can i do this if no op system installed ??
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Oct 11, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Windows installation can format the disk. Try to install Windows again and be careful to select the correct formatting option.