Sony replace an old laptop HDD for a new one SSD.

Closed
silvyo Posts 1 Registration date Sunday December 14, 2014 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2014 - Dec 14, 2014 at 08:51 AM
ChrisWood3 Posts 12 Registration date Friday November 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 - Dec 25, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Hello,
I need to replace an old laptop HDD for a new one SSD.
In this old HDD there's Sony recovery partition (hidden), that i want to copy to the new SSD and boot from it in order to install the OS with all factory defaults.

this may work?

thanks in advance!
Related:

2 responses

ChrisWood3 Posts 12 Registration date Friday November 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen January 14, 2015 6
Dec 25, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Directly migrate OS from HDD to SSD with Todo Backup. For the laptop, it is not easy to connect two disks to the computer at the same time. You can backup system to image, then create boot CD/USB of Todo Backup. Move the image to USB. After connecting SSD to PC, recover OS from boot USB.
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

If you can connect HDD, ssd to the computer, just clone system partition to SSD, then set in BOIS, that's OK.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 15, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Hi silvyo,

I presume you do not have a Windows installation DVD and that is why you need to use the recovery partition. I see two options here: clone your current HDD to the SSD, using a cloning utility, or creating a bootable device containing the recovery partition. What you plan to do may be done using a SATA to USB cable but the positive result can not be guaranteed. What is the model of your HDD? If it is a WD drive, you could use the WD version of Acronis True Image and clone your partition. In order to use the full benefits of a SSD drive, it is recommended to do a clean OS install.

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HhGbEX - Acronis WD Edition

Hope this helps