My laptop is dead

Closed
chris - Feb 8, 2015 at 02:45 PM
 gera - Oct 27, 2015 at 03:34 PM
Please help, today I performed a system restore on my toshiba satellite laptop, when it restarted and I went log in I got a blue screen with an error message and a :( face, it then shut down.
I tried turning back on, get the red toshiba logo as normal then screen goes black, occasionally giving a cursor.
I've read other threads about holding down the 0 (zero) key and restarting hard drive but this didnt work, I then tried unplugging power, removing bettery, holding power key for 60secs, plugging back in and turning back on but now I have this error message
"The instructiin at 0x400207f8 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.
click OK to terminate the program"
I hope its not too dead, I am self employed and all my invoices are on there for tax man!!

Also above the error box it says "Realtek HD Audio Background Process for Vista: RAVBg64.exe - A..."
also it was running on windows 8
Bout as much info as I have at mo!!
Related:

2 replies

Ambucias Posts 47357 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen September 1, 2021 11,236
Feb 8, 2015 at 04:32 PM
Hello,

Good thing the zero key did not work because you would have erased all of your data.

Why did you try a system restore?

What kind of system restore did you try?

Look like you have a hardware issue.

Can you boot in safe mode?
Well the zero key did fetch up reset which I did, I meant it didn't work as in it didnt rectify anything!!
Ambucias Posts 47357 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen September 1, 2021 11,236 > chris
Feb 8, 2015 at 06:15 PM
With all due respect, if you don't read and answer all of my questions we will be here for a very long time.

I repeat:

Why did you try a system restore?

What kind of system restore did you try?

Can you boot in safe mode, with or without networking?

You have a Toshiba which is sad because things get more complicated. Toshiba problems are recurrent.

Have you recently installed new software or harddare? Which is it and from what source?

I must now log off till the morning.

Hang in there.

Best regards and God save the Queen
Hi, I did a restore to try and get rid of 'ads by websave' n other pop-ups I was constantly getting!! The restore I did was in conrol panel under recovery, restored from day before (saturday) as was not having these issues then!! I dont know about safe mode, how would I do this?!
No new hard or soft -ware been added that I know of!!
Thanks for your help so far!!
Ambucias Posts 47357 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen September 1, 2021 11,236 > chris
Feb 9, 2015 at 04:19 AM
press the Shift+F8 key or
hold the SHIFT key and click Restart
hi chris. is your problem with your computer already resolved? if so how did you do it? I am having the same problem with you?Can you help me please as to what should I do? Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47357 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen September 1, 2021 11,236
Feb 9, 2015 at 04:43 PM
Hello Chris,

No need to apologize.

Websave and other pop-ups are viruses which get into the root of the system. Trying a system restore before disinfecting the machine was an error.

Since your machine does not boot in safe mode, I advise that you restore to factory settings:

Here is the correct method:

https://ccm.net/faq/4811-restore-toshiba-laptop-to-factory-settings#using-the-recovery-partition

Sorry but all of your data will be lost.

Good luck and let me know.