Unrecognise and unaccessible external hdd

Closed
ausad1 Posts 1 Registration date Thursday March 12, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2015 - Mar 12, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Mar 13, 2015 at 05:54 AM
How can my computer recognise my external hard disk drive? whenever i plug my hard disk it shows this message E:/ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
awaiting to hear the response.
Thank you.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Mar 12, 2015 at 04:54 PM
You can try using a different USB cable and or an external power source. But, most of the time these symptoms point to a failed drive and no chance of data recovery.

Good Luck
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Mar 13, 2015 at 05:54 AM
Hey ausad1. In addition to @xpcman's reply I'd add that you could try it with a different port or it would be even better if you could try it with a different computer as well to see if the same thing happens. If you want to recover data from this drive, I'd also suggest that you try accessing the drive via Linux Live CD/USB (this is basically a freeware, bootable and portable Linux version which often helps in cases like yours) to see if it's recognized properly this way. Another option would be a data recovery program such as one of those listed in this thread: https://www.tomshardware.com/

If you've recovered your data (or don't want to recover anything), I'd recommend that you download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool and try to test the drive with it to see what's the situation.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD