Acer m5-583p -6423 with no screen connected to external TV

Closed
That_tech_kid - Apr 17, 2015 at 07:36 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Apr 18, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Hello. I'm having trouble getting my pc to function. The computer seems to be on and functioning fine but there is no display to my tv. Granted it is a laptop but the tv has been my only source of display for almost a year since the touch screen crackeD. I use an hdmi cable. I've tried hard resets and I've checked voltages coming from My outlets. Everything returned normal.
The computer turn's on but doesn't output to my tv. The computer was moved from apartment to my friends apartment next door but that shouldn't have caused it. I've only dropped it once about a year ago when the screen shattered. There are no viruses or malware on it. Please respond
thank you.
Related:

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Apr 18, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Hi Kid,

I know this sounds really basic, but ....

Does the laptop work with the original TV? It could be that your friends TV isnt "Tuned in" to your PC. Try changing the mode the TV is in - I dont remember the technical terms, but while some TVs automatically detect the input, others dont and have to be manually switched between AV for an old video recorder, TV to get normal tv, HDMI to pick up PCs and so on. Some TVs have more than one HDMI input - are you sure you are trying to "see" the computer on the correct HDMI channel?

Let me know how you get on.

Good luck.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)
That_tech_kid
Apr 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM
Hello. I appreciate the input. It did work on both tvs until yesterday when it just decided not to output anymore. I've also noticed that the fan seems to be running slower than normal. maybe a memory issue?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > That_tech_kid
Apr 18, 2015 at 01:18 PM
Im guessing it no longer works in either TV.

I doubt a memory issue, but you could try removing one of the sticks and seeing if that works.If it doesnt then swap the sticks.

I wonder if it looks as though the shattered screen is trying to come on - is there any sign of life at all from that screen (and was there any life before you first attached the TV?

Also, (and I know you have tried this but I have to include it for completeness ...)
When you toggle the displays with the [f5] button are you also pressing the[fn] button - this is needed to make it switch screens. It is worth noting there are 3 "positions" for this toggle - PC, External, and both PC and External.

You might like to look at the display settings as well - make sure you are set to mirror the display. If you use a password to log on then the primary monitor (which would be the laptop) shows the login page whilst the other remains blank. (try logging on even if you cant see anything and see if the other screen comes on).

Im sure there is more to try, but I just cant think at the moment - give that a go and I will keep thinking....

(my brain hurts already!!!)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150 > BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021
Apr 18, 2015 at 01:24 PM
And also try [fn] + [f6] - but if it doesnt work the first time do it again - make sure you do it an even number of times. What this does is toggle the backlight on and off - if that got switched by accident then it may just need switching back - but if it didnt and you switch it off and dont switch it back on then you wont see anything when you do fix the (real) problem.

And while I'm here ... Have you tried a new HDMI lead in case that has failed?