Closed
iaminneedofhelp Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday March 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen March 25, 2009 - Mar 25, 2009 at 06:32 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 25, 2009 at 09:57 PM
Hello,

I recently cleaned my Windows XP computer because of adware/spyware. And I believe the anti-spyware software deleted one too many files.

Now the computer won't let me do anything.

After I login only the wallpaper and the mouse shows up. But after a few minutes, or sometimes seconds, it logs off automatically.

I tried Safe Mode, Last good config, and rebooting it. But it nothing works.

CTRL ALT DLT doesn't work.

Putting in the Windows XP CD to reboot it won't show up. I can hear it spinning, but the computer doesn't notice it.

Please help me =(

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Mar 25, 2009 at 09:57 PM
First you need to change the "boot order" in the BIOS so the PC boots from the CD. Depending on the make of the computer/motherboard you hit the Del key (or the F2 or F8 or F10 key) right after turning the PC on. It's best to hit it multiple times to catch the BIOS at the right time. You need to search thru the BIOS settings/screens to find the "boot order" setting. Note that the mouse does not work in the BIOS and you will need to use the cursor keys (arrows). Once you find the right setting you must move the CD/DVD drive to the top of the list. Again depending on the BIOS you will use the PageUp or + key to move the drive to the top of the list. Select the Save option (F10) and exit and reboot. Some PCs (like Dell) have a PFkey option that does a temporary boot order change.

You can do a Windows repair - but, it will remove all your windows updates and you must download them again. This is a link to a web site with more instructions for the "repair/install" Good Luck

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-windows-xp-2000-if-you-are-unable-to-boot-into-windows.8356/