Unable to open pdf

Solved/Closed
AndrewAnd Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 17, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 17, 2015 - Jun 17, 2015 at 09:03 AM
CodyH756 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday June 24, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 25, 2015 - Jun 25, 2015 at 03:21 PM
My customer has recently encountered a problem when trying to open most of their pdfs that they have been referencing for years on their pc. Reader has a popup box that says "Adobe Reader could not open 'file.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded

I have tried various programs to recover/restore/repair them, they all say the files aren't PDF files. I have not paid for any recovery programs but would be willing to if they can demonstrate they can fix the problem first.

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

Anonymous User
Jun 17, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Hi, does this only happen for a specific set of PDFs or all of them, regardless of source?
In any case, the said files might be getting corrupted by malware trying to infect the documents, eventually failing to infect them correctly. If it is the case I'll redirect your post to the Viruses/Security subforum in the hope someone will help you clean the computer.
Can you also try to open the files with different PDF reader, e.g. Firefox if it is installed (it can read PDFs directly thanks to
pdf.js
)?
from human import idiocy
del idiocy