Unable to open pdf [Solved/Closed]

AndrewAnd 1 Posts Wednesday June 17, 2015Registration date June 17, 2015 Last seen - Jun 17, 2015 at 09:03 AM - Latest reply: CodyH756 1 Posts Wednesday June 24, 2015Registration date June 25, 2015 Last seen
- Jun 25, 2015 at 03:21 PM
My customer has recently encountered a problem when trying to open most of their pdfs that they have been referencing for years on their pc. Reader has a popup box that says "Adobe Reader could not open 'file.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded

I have tried various programs to recover/restore/repair them, they all say the files aren't PDF files. I have not paid for any recovery programs but would be willing to if they can demonstrate they can fix the problem first.

Thanks
See more 

2 replies

Best answer
gravgun 4730 Posts Sunday June 12, 2011Registration dateContributorStatus July 15, 2018 Last seen - Jun 17, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Thank you
Hi, does this only happen for a specific set of PDFs or all of them, regardless of source?
In any case, the said files might be getting corrupted by malware trying to infect the documents, eventually failing to infect them correctly. If it is the case I'll redirect your post to the Viruses/Security subforum in the hope someone will help you clean the computer.
Can you also try to open the files with different PDF reader, e.g. Firefox if it is installed (it can read PDFs directly thanks to
pdf.js
)?
from human import idiocy
del idiocy

Thank you, gravgun 1

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1706 users this month

Best answer
CodyH756 1 Posts Wednesday June 24, 2015Registration date June 25, 2015 Last seen - Jun 25, 2015 at 03:21 PM
Thank you
Hi Richard,
This can be due to various reason. What I would like to suggest you is
1.Update your browser/Adobe acrobate/ Adobe plugin to the browser.
2.Try to access the PDF files from a different workstation all together.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/87a35495-5a6b-4eaf-acef-e71be235e216/pdf-corrupt-file-after-being-using-in-sql-
If this still not fix the problem then its for sure that the PDF files are corrupt. To fix the files we need to know
how the files were generated/created?
Where the files are stored?

Thank you, CodyH756 1

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1706 users this month