Pendrive became write protected

Closed
Surachit - Aug 18, 2015 at 08:40 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Aug 20, 2015 at 06:28 AM
Hello,

my pendrive became write protected...antivirus cant detect any virus.all the files and folders are now renamed with special letters(chinese,greek).Cant format the drive as it is write protected.I used diskpart but when I typed ATTRIBUTES DISK it is showing read only state as NO.so when typed ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY it successfully cleared but the problem remained same.
I tried using regedit....but I didnt find StorageDevicePolicies..so cant solve it...tried to format the drive using disk management but after formatting certain percentage it says some files cant be formatted ,so the problem rmain same.................please help me

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Aug 20, 2015 at 06:28 AM
Hi Surachit,

It seems like a strange file corruption which may be caused by a drive damage, so keep that in mind. If the drive is about to fail, the issue may reappear or even make the pendrive unrecognized. I would suggest you to use a Linux Live CD. No installation is needed. You should boot from it and try to access or format the drive. Sometimes using Linux helps people solve these kind of problems. Is there any chance that the data is encrypted with some kind of software?

Hope this helps