How to solve "The Disk Is Write-protected"?

Closed
ali.rachid Posts 292 Registration date Friday May 15, 2015 Status Member Last seen June 22, 2021 - Jun 21, 2021 at 12:52 PM
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 - Jun 30, 2021 at 12:38 PM
I plugged my USB drive into my computer (Windows 10 20h1 x64), and it didn't read it and told me to format it. When I tried to format it, it says "The Disk Is Write-protected". I tried removing write protection using Diskpart, I get a message saying it successfully removed the write protection, but when I try to format it, it says "The Disk Is Write-protected" again. Then I tried adding the "WriteProtect" key in the registry (Regedit), but it did nothing.
Please help me recover my USB drive
Related:

2 responses

GeekPeek Posts 115 Registration date Tuesday June 30, 2020 Status Member Last seen June 30, 2021 40
Jun 30, 2021 at 03:14 AM
You can just kindly follow the steps below:

How to remove a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there is no Write protection ON or OFF button on stick then
1. Shutdown your computer or laptop
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer
3. Turn on laptop and then immediately start pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot Options screen will come up
4. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. After loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then write as
6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
7. G:\>format G: and press enter
8. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
9. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
Note:
Before removing USB from your computer, Always remove it safely by going into to my computer then right click on USB and click eject.

Also check out more methods in the post: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/disk-write-protected.html?utm_source=ccm.net&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=affich-1137175-how-to-solve-the-disk-is-write-protected#newanswer
nathanwirth Posts 324 Registration date Thursday May 22, 2014 Status Member Last seen September 27, 2022 28
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:38 PM
Some computer users or administrators of the machine set security settings on the computer to prevent actions from writing data to a USB disk. You need to remove such settings by modifying settings in the registry.