My flash drive isn't working and I can't connect it on the compu

Solved/Closed
KRKMB - Aug 28, 2015 at 07:25 PM
jollym124 Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday January 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 - Sep 3, 2015 at 01:29 AM
I'm using a regular Windows XP [no numbers it's really old] and I looked into the computer and my flash drive doesn't show up [its brand new I haven't even put it into a computer before now]
I try to see if there is a flash drive and when I look it up in the help menu they have nothing in the help database of a flash drive.
I have an essay due next week and my grandpa's computer is the only one that will turn on.
Help please.
Oh and it's not the lettering for the drive either, there's like no such thing as flash drives on this computer.
Related:

1 response

jollym124 Posts 98 Registration date Wednesday January 21, 2015 Status Member Last seen March 28, 2017 28
Sep 3, 2015 at 01:29 AM
Open the Disk Management tool. To do so, press Windows Key + R, type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
If Windows doesn't see your drive at all, it's possible there's a hardware issue with your computer's USB port, a driver problem with your Windows computer, or you may just have a dead drive.

First, unplug the drive from your USB port and try plugging it into another USB port on your computer. If it works in one USB port but not another, you may have a dead USB port. If you've plugged the drive into a USB hub, try connecting it to the computer instead. Some USB hubs won't provide enough power for your external drive to function.

If the drive doesn't show up in Disk Management even after you skip the USB hub and connect it to another USB port on your computer, it's tough to know for certain whether the drive itself is bad or the computer is having a problem. If you have another computer nearby, try plugging the drive in there to check whether it's detected. If the drive doesn't work on any computer you plug it into -- be sure to check whether it appears in the computer's Disk Management window -- the drive itself is likely dead and will need to be replaced.