Change color to different cells based on another cells text.

Solved/Closed
-
 Riggs2015 -
Hi, need some help, cannot figure this one out. I had attempted to use conditional formatting; however, it is not completely accomplishing what I have in mind.

I want to know how to change color to different cells based on another cells text. For example, if I change or add a text word "Pass" to cell F1, I would want cell F1 to turn green and automatically have B1 turn blue. In the same token, if I change F1 to "Fail", I would want F1 to turn red and have B1 to turn red.

Any info you can provide will be great.

P.S. I had tried to subscribe to CCM; however, there is an error code on CCM that is not allowing me to submit. The error I am receiving when clicking submit is "object, object".

1 reply

Registration date
Thursday January 28, 2010
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
conditional formatting is what you want to do. when you say it did not work, what did not work for you ?
Hi Rizvisa,

I chould not figure out how to have cell F1 turn green and have B1 automatically turn blue by inputting text "Pass" in F1. I was only able to have F1 turn green when inputting text "Pass" into it but was not able to have B1 turn blue automatically. So I have limited knowledge in expanding conditional formatting to do want I have in mind.
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020
you have to conditionally format B1 cell, just as you did F1.
in B1you can have some thing like
=F1="Pass"
and choose blue color
>
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
August 2, 2020

Thank you, what a big help you had provided. It now works the way I had in mind. Thanks again! =F1="Pass" was the key!