How do I set variable and go to webpage in one click?

Solved/Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Oct 7, 2015 at 08:47 PM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Oct 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Hi all,

Im trying to improve a web site and the best way I can think to describe this problem is quite long winded and obtuse. I hope someone can see what I want and recommend a solution.

Firstly Im new to php and will need telling in easy idiots guide fashion.

Ok the problem ...

I want users to be able to customize a storybook (which is meant for a select few). I want them to be able to click on a "link" and the following pages change with an addition of their name which they have selected from a list. A crude example would be like this ...

Page 1
Hello. this story is about [John] [Doreen] [Lewis] [Toni]

The bits in bold are 4 "links". Now suppose the user selects "Toni"

Now page 2 ...
One day Toni was walking down the street and met [Sally] [Dave] [Abdul] [Doreen]...

The text in italics has been selected from the "link" in page 1

Does anyone know how I can do this please?

oh ... and Im not going to tell you the rest of the story

EDIT ... ok - I'll tell you a different story about a bear if I get a resopnce :^)

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Oct 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM
I think I did it ...

The shortcut (in this case the first name on page 1) is given the following link:
<a href="name1.php?location=chosenname" title="namechoise1">namechoise1</a>

The other names (from the list you choose from) get a similar link but chosenname and namechoise are different.

All subsequent pages where you want the name to be gets this code ...
<?php echo htmlspecialchars($_GET['namechoise1']); ?>

I believe the htmlspecialchars adds some security against hackers injecting their own code, but in this case I dont see how this can happen.

Anyway, thats how I think it works.

Hope its all clear.

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues :o)