Opening powerpoint file problem

Solved/Closed
sullivannnn Posts 1 Registration date Monday December 7, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 14, 2015 - Dec 9, 2015 at 05:50 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Dec 10, 2015 at 04:46 PM
Hello,

I'm suddenly not able to open a powerpoint file I've been working on. It tries to open it, gets about four little bars into the open, then says "powerpoint can't open the type of file represented by xxx."
The file is a .ppt file, and says type powerpoint presentation. I'm not aware of any damage I did to it. I've tried renaming, and coping to another folder, no luck. I tried opening a new powerpoint file and them attempted to insert the slides, no luck, said wrong file type. Naturally this is an important file, not backed up (my daughter's highschool presentation due tomorrow for a critical grade). Any help would be appreciated. Ps, it opens in Word, just looks like heiroghliphics (sp?).
More info on the problem:
1.don't have powerpoint viewer, so didn't try this.
2. tried moving to a zip and to a floppy, still would not open.
3.do not have a mac to move to.
4. all done on PowerPoint 2003, no other version.

Any more suggestions are really welcome, thanks!

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 10, 2015 at 04:46 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

PPT file extension is for the older version of power point. Have you tried

opening that file in Microsoft PowerPoint 2003? Let me know if you have

successfully able to opened it or not.

Also let me know the Office Version that you are using to open the file

which resulted with that error message.

Good Luck