External HDD stop working. Tries everything but nothing happen.

Closed
raykimi Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 23, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 23, 2015 - Dec 23, 2015 at 02:37 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 30, 2015 at 08:53 AM
Hi. Good day guys.

My external hard disk stop working suddenly and any solution that I tries failed.
- The drive shows only its name (Local Disk F:) and will make my laptop hang if I tries to open it.
- The 'automatic open' of the disk (don't know the exact term but in windows 10 when you insert any drive it will automatically open the drive), it says the drive is empty.
- Disk management won't show anything. It stuck at "connecting to virtual disk service" and it will only works again when I removed the hard disk.
- Command prompt is useless too. Tries to do everything with that drive but an enter is just an enter. Nothing happen.

I really hope and appreciate if someone give some solution to this. A lot of my important files are in this drive.

Thanks in advance.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 30, 2015 at 08:53 AM
Hi Rayikimi,

You have done pretty good job, trying to solve the issue. I would recommend you to try using another USB cable and to check the drive on another PC in order to confirm where the issue comes from.
Have you tried the chkdsk command from the Command Prompt? Try connecting the drive to computer using another OS o another device, like a TV.

Hope this helps