External HDD folder disappeared error the path is not correct

Closed
nodame - Jan 23, 2016 at 03:35 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 25, 2016 at 03:11 AM
I was using a seagate backup plus]with NTFS format. I plugged into a windows 8 laptop, and tried to open a folder. however it can't be opened and there is an error message something like "the path is not correct" or "not located locally/on this disk". I tried opening other folders and they could be opened. when I went back to the main folder, I found the folder that I was looking disappeared.

I've tried:
looking in recycle bin
changing setting to show hidden folders/files
plugging into a macbook to see.

all don't work. please suggest how to recover the data in lost folder
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 25, 2016 at 03:11 AM
Hi nodame,

You have done many important things in order to find the folder. Have you been using some sort of emulation with this drive? Have you been using the drive on other PCs? Having in mind the total occupied space and the files on the hard drive, can you tell if the missing folder’s capacity is still occupying the hard drive or it appears to be deleted? Try using the chkdsk D: /f command from the Command Prompt, where you must replace D with your external’s drive letter.
I strongly recommend you to search for a data recovery tool. The Download section of this forum offers s few suggestions.
https://ccm.net/download/file-management-53/windows/

Hope this helps