Sacon caps

Closed
Bo - Apr 14, 2009 at 08:33 PM
sa.nk71 Posts 6 Registration date Friday April 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2009 - Apr 15, 2009 at 03:28 AM
Hello,
My rig is based on a Soyo Dragon P4X400 board, and after seven years of running strong it is showing some signs of stress. It is a socket 478 board and uses the plastic fan hanger on the CPU. One ear spontaneously broke off leaving the CPU without heat sink for about 15 minutes until I found it. CPU smelled burnt so I have replacement ordered.

While board was out, I noticed one of the larger caps that surround the CPU area was bulged on the end, so I set out to replace it while the machine was down anyway. The cap is a Sacon 2200 uf 6.3V. I found a cap with same value of a different brand. Are you familiar with the polarity markings on the Sacon cap? There is no "-" or neg markings, just a series of arrows embossed onto the side of the cap case. They all point down to one leg. Is it safe to assume this means the negative side? Cant use the leg length because the original cap was already cut. What markings on the board would indicate correct polarity? If I remember right, there's a circle printed on the board under the cap and half of it is black, the other half white. Would one indicate pos, the other neg? ? All the other caps in that particular row had their "arrow marked" side all facing one direction, so I put the new one in with the neg side (clearly marked "- - - -") in the same orientation.

What are the consequences of getting the polarity wrong?
Thought I should check before I fire it up and get fireworks.

Great forum, Thanks!
Dave

1 response

sa.nk71 Posts 6 Registration date Friday April 3, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 14, 2009 1
Apr 15, 2009 at 03:28 AM
hi,
The polarity of the capacitor is very important as if wrongly positioned, it can explode or damage the whole motherboard circuit.
The arrows indicate the negative polarity.