Transfer data from an old report to a new one

Closed
thanpanag Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday February 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016 - Feb 24, 2016 at 01:52 PM
thanpanag Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday February 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016 - Feb 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Good evening everyone.
I'm trying to develop a macro that will compare data between two versions of the same report. The old file, contains a list of entries updated with comments on a specific column (let's assume it's column B). The new version, is a refreshed version of the old version (with other entries added, some others removed and for some of them with changed values), but without the comments that had been manually inserted in the old version. Could you please assist on designing a macro that would transfer the comments from the old version to the new one, taking under consideration that the old version is in file 1 and the refreshed one is in file 2.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance, Thanasis

1 response

Blocked Profile
Feb 24, 2016 at 06:11 PM
We could write a turn key solution, but more than likely it won't include one or two more steps in the scope that you have failed to mention. Moving data from one file to another one isn't a task for newbies, as it requires knowledge of OLE, or some other "CABINET" or "CLASS" of functions.

Post some code on where you are stuck and we can help, otherwise we will have to decline as we cannot provide you with a turn key solution. We have done it before, and thirty revisions later, the end user still says it doesn't do exactly what THEY want (even though we have written all of the code based on all of the specifications given, most users cannot place the correct entries into the correct variables to make our solution bullet proof!)

Sorry, but if you post where you are stuck, we can help!

Have FUN!

I have said it once, I will say it again. IT!
thanpanag Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday February 24, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Hello and many thanks for your reply. you are right... My knowledge is rather elementary on macro creation and i've abandoned the attempts. Have found a workaround based on VLOOKUP command and will try to fit this in a macro to run each time i have the refreshed report version. when i'm done, will inform you on outcome :)