Need to format to run the hard disk

Closed
shubhamdarak Posts 1 Registration date Thursday February 25, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016 - Feb 25, 2016 at 01:49 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Feb 26, 2016 at 04:07 AM
my seagate's hard drive is not working !! whenever i am connecting it on my laptop it is showing a message i.e. "you need to format to run the hard disk"!!
i have my all the data stored in it...what should i do to save my drive and my data!!
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Feb 26, 2016 at 04:07 AM
Hey there, shubhamdarak.

I'd suggest that you try the drive with a different computer and a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12") to see if the issue reoccurs.
If you are still unable to open it and get your data, you could try acccessing the drive via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD (this is a freeware, portable, bootable version of Linux), to see if the partitions are properly recognized and if you can get to your files. Another option would be to try out different data recovery programs. And last but not least, if nothing seems to be working for you and your data is really valuable, you could try professional help, such as a data recovery company.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD