USB Flash Drive Problem

Closed
bdsumner Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016 - Feb 27, 2016 at 06:37 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Apr 5, 2016 at 04:05 AM
Hello,
I have a 1TB USB Flash Drive. I can only seem to copy about 16 GB of data to it. Any more data, and the files show up as being empty when opened, even though Windows seemed to go through the entire copy process. I have formatted the drive as exFAT, and NTFS, and neither format allows more files to be copied. I am running under Windows 10 on both my laptop and tablet.

What do I need to do?
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Feb 29, 2016 at 03:45 AM
Hi bdsumner,

Could you open Disk Management and check if the drive appears with correct file format and if there is some unassigned space. Is the capacity more than 16 GB? I strongly recommend you to check the drive on another PC. If the situation is the same and the recognized size in Disk Management is 1 TB, sadly, there may be an issue with the drive preventing you to use the full capacity. Let me know if there is any progress.

Hope this helps

bdsumner Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Feb 29, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Thank you for your response. I will check out Disk Management as I do not remember if I tried that yet. My Flash Drive is a 1 TB drive and when I check the space in Properties, it confirms that amount of space. I am currently formatting the drive, the L O N G way in the hope that it will find and flag any disk errors which may also be a part of the problem. Again, thanks for your help. (BTW- I have a number of Western Digital External Hard Drives and they are great!)
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > bdsumner Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Mar 1, 2016 at 03:10 AM
Hi again bdsumner,

I am really glad that you are happy with the quality of the WD drives!
Have you checked the flash drive on another PC? It is important to know if the issue comes from the PC ports or from the flash drive, because both assumptions are possible. If the drive appears in Disk Management, try changing the drive letter, right clicking on the drive. If you are trying to format the drive from Disk Management, try doing it through Command Prompt typing the following commands:
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number of the drive)
Clean
Create partition primary
Format fs=NTFS
Exit

Press Enter after every command.
Please let me know if there is any change.
bdsumner Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016 > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Mar 31, 2016 at 07:17 PM
Thank you for helping me. I am sorry it has taken so long to get back with you. The procedure you described functioned correctly, but my USB Flash Drive still does not allow me to copy and use more than about 21 GB of data. The file folders are present, but when I click on them, they are "empty". If you have any other advice, please let me know. Thank you for all you have done so far!
Brad
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > bdsumner Posts 3 Registration date Saturday February 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 31, 2016
Apr 5, 2016 at 04:05 AM
Hi again bdsumner,

Sorry for responding you a bit late. If formatting the drive completed correctly and all the capacity is correctly recognized by Disk Management, but it is not fully usable, there may be a drive problem. Have you checked the drive on another PC? I strongly recommend you to do it and even try it on another OS. If the issue persists and you have a chance to use the warranty, I recommend you to do so. Were you able to use the whole capacity of the drive when you bought it or this issue persisted since the beginning?

Hope this helps