CHKDSK deleted corrupted directories, didn't leave .chk files...

Closed
kyle - Mar 18, 2016 at 03:36 PM
kyle.gm Posts 2 Registration date Friday March 18, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 19, 2016 - Mar 19, 2016 at 04:56 AM
Today I made a clean install of Windows 10 onto my girlfriend's computer, and made a backup of all her files onto a WD Elements 1 TB USB3.0 HDD.

The install went fine, but when I tried to move her data back onto the computer's HDD from the WD drive, there were a few directories that gave a "corrupted/unreadable" error when I tried to open them on the WD drive. After some googling, I ran chkdsk and then chkdsk /f on the drive.

Chkdsk /f deleted the corrupted directories, and didn't leave any *.chk or "found" files on the drive. Is there any way I can recover this data???
I'm going to try running Recuva after I finish making a full backup of what's currently on the drive.

Here is a log of the chkdsk /f command that deleted all the data:

http://pastebin.com/M1nSE5R5

Thanks in advance.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Mar 18, 2016 at 04:15 PM
You should have ran /r (f is assumed with an r). It repairs the files, not just finds them! I encourage you to run "chkdsk ?" and read the switches.
Ok, I'll try that after the Recuva scan is finished. Will chkdsk /r do anything after the files have been deleted by chkdsk /f? Why did chkdsk /f delete the files without giving me "foundnnnn" files?
Blocked Profile
Mar 18, 2016 at 04:36 PM
I am not certain that it deleted them, it just marked the sector as BAD!
The directories are no longer there. How could I find the "BAD" sector(s)?
Blocked Profile
Mar 18, 2016 at 04:39 PM
The chkdsk will read them in the FAT (NOT really any more but simplifying it here!), and will fix if possible.
Blocked Profile
Mar 18, 2016 at 04:39 PM
There is a record of the files....just let it run!